Dwarf Weeping Barbados Cherry

micomcd

Seed
Reaction score
I recently picked up this little tree and have no idea where I should take it. I've never had a weeping species before and I'd like to work towards some more height, but don't know how. If you have any tips or ideas on shaping this tree, I would really appreciate your input!

DSCF0755.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0757.jpg
    DSCF0757.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 12

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
To get height, you will need to pick one of the top branches that is weeping, and using wire, you will have to wire it up to make the next upright segment of trunk. After 18 months or so the branch wired to vertical will hold its position, maybe sooner. Remove wire if you notice it cutting in, then re-wire avoiding using the exact same grooves as previous wire.

Your trunk is at a perfect 90 degree to the soil level. When you repot you should put the tree on a slight angle, if you like up to a moderate angle. Dead arrow vertical is usually reserved for very formal upright designs. Weeping trees always have at least some slant to them.

micomcd

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks Leo! I just bought some wire, so I can give that a go once I do some more research. Do any of the branches look like a good candidate for a leader from what you can see?

I have some wire, but need to do some more homework before wiring.

Top Bottom