Dwarf weeping willow (S. babylonica 'yatsubusa')

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a really interesting specimen I picked up from Evergreen Gardenworks. Not much info about it there ("A miniature weeping willow for a small area or for bonsai. We have not grown out this tree and do not know its ultimate size. Its leaves and branches are about half size.") Does anyone have one of these?

It's such a cool tree that I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them around. Despite being a dwarf, it is an incredibly FAST grower and VERY THIRSTY. I have 6-7 different willow varieties, and this is the thirstiest one. Literally my thirstiest tree.

Here's when I first got it (Sept. 2020).

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_082155.jpg
    IMG_20200927_082155.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 110

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And here it is today. It's a total head-turning monster, but still under 4 feet tall. People literally do a double take and ask me "what the hell is that!?"

And what's cool about it is that it weeps naturally. I wish I had a nickel for every noob who wants a weeping willow bonsai but can never figure out how to make them weep (or survive). This tree just does it's own thing automagically.

20220720_195156.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And finally, a a word of warning to others: willow scams are one of the most rampant bonsai scams around. I have seen dozens and dozens of ads for "dwarf willows" on Amazon, but literally all of those are scams. If you want the real deal, don't purchase from anywhere but Evergreen Gardenworks.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got one that I purchased from @NewWorldBonsai this past winter it was a tiny cutting that is growing quickly, I was able to get nice movement in the trunk while it was small. I can't wait to see how it develops over the next few years.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not a tree you want over your well or septic system. They do love their water.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not a tree you want over your well or septic system. They do love their water.
It actually borders on the side of annoying. Today we stayed at the pool a lot longer than I expected too. And I didn't wanna be that guy who was like, well, family, I know we're having fun, but it's 100F today and I need to go water the trees.

At 9:30 a.m., I absolutely saturated the entire pot until water was overflowing out the top, and filled the one-gallon reserve pan.

And yet, when I got home at 4:30, the top leaves were already crispy. Dammit! Should have popped it in the kiddie pool!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The good thing about willows is even if the leaves all go crispy and fall off, they will usually push new growth if you start watering again. I have a very very very thirsty corkscrew willow that dried out one day, all leaves went crispy and fell off. 2 weeks later it’s almost as if it never happened, but it’s not as thirsty now.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a pretty sweet willow. Any chance I could talk you into shipping a few trimmings one state south?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a pretty sweet willow. Any chance I could talk you into shipping a few trimmings one state south?
Pm me. I have hundreds of rooted cuttings I don't know what to do with. I ran out of pots.

I can't imagine the water bill if I suddenly had a hundred of those.

The Curator

Seedling
Reaction score
I would also love some! My wife loves willows, and I was actually looking at grabbing one of these from Evergreen. A handful of rooted cuttings would be perfect. I'll DM you.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pm me. I have hundreds of rooted cuttings I don't know what to do with. I ran out of pots.

I can't imagine the water bill if I suddenly had a hundred of those.
If you still have some you're looking to part with, I'd happily take them off your hands!

Top Bottom