Dwarf Youpon Schillings

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Got another cart damaged Dwarf Youpon, all the broken branches are from the collision, I've had it for 6-8 months and its flushing back out all over from the cut back I gave it when I removed it. Unfortunately the most vigorous growth is on a split branch. Nice fat trunk with good root flare. Trying to decide what to get rid of. I am going to just get rid of crosses for now. DSCN6751.JPGDSCN6752.JPGDSCN6753.JPGDSCN6754.JPGDSCN6755.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like great material with plenty of options. I'd be tempted to remove a few more straight sections, but I'm not sure of the recovery prospects of the variety and if you should wait to do so. Cart damaged? like golf cart?

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Remove one or two of the branches in that area where the trunk splits into six. This is to stop the chances of reverse taper.

Damn, that is a fat trunk!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this one going to be clipNgrow style as they are somewhat brittle? This size is nice but not all that large for this type of treeIMG_20180318_080448994.jpgIMG_20180318_080502065.jpgIMG_20180318_080527416.jpgI have just potted 4 over the last 2 weekends. Interested in how one develop these.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Looks like great material with plenty of options. I'd be tempted to remove a few more straight sections, but I'm not sure of the recovery prospects of the variety and if you should wait to do so. Cart damaged? like golf cart?
yeah, golf carts on a walkway that is not supposed to be used by carts. I'm just trying to decide which ones should go, I figure now is the time wth new growth coming on, I could remove some of the thick trunks and that will redirect all the new growth to the keepers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just spitballing, but what about a semi-cascade in a crescent pot.. something like this:

Attachments

• youpon.JPG
    youpon.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 8

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think just go after them with the loppers one more time but try to take out all the long straight sections especially the thick ones. Then clip and grow until the material is talking to you. Looks like some fun material.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I think just go after them with the loppers one more time but try to take out all the long straight sections especially the thick ones. Then clip and grow until the material is talking to you. Looks like some fun material.
Plan to look at it again this weekend, I really like the one branch that I mentioned above, and maybe one other along with the dead stumps.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
One Month later...Did some branch removals and am now working it as a clip and grow hoping to develop a few pads. The broken branch is still alive and I've got it bent down by jamming a twig in the split. The rock is between the two branches in an attempt to bend them further apart. The Base of this thing is really nice. Hope to repot it to a bonsai-ish pot next spring. Now its just grow and develop. The stick in the pot is the front I've settled on, gives a nice angle for the view of the root flare.DSCN6875.JPGDSCN6869.JPGDSCN6870.JPGDSCN6871.JPGDSCN6872.JPGDSCN6873.JPGDSCN6874.JPG

Top Bottom