Dwight Way Black Pine

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's already been over a year since Yabusaki's Dwight Way Nursery in Berkley closed its doors. I went there about five years ago and purchased this tree.

image.jpeg

It had many problems. Long leggy branches without taper or ramification. It hadn't been repotted in a LONG time and was quite root bound. It had bad needle cast and some yellowing. But I liked the basal flare, it had good bark, and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

So to Houston it came.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Over the next two seasons, I wired it out and repotted the tree. I didn't decandle, but fertilized the tree well. Here's the tree two years later.

image.jpeg

Color is better and the second season had strong growth.

Now the branches. Leggy young branches are not a problem. Decandling can generally produce back budding to take care of that problem. Leggy old branches are problemati - unless you're very lucky, the only way to talks care of that problem is by grafting.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So grafting I did. Over the next three years, I decandled, cut scions and grafted onto the old branches close to the trunk. Here's the tree being grafted.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Over that three year period I had about a dozen successful grafts. I had about a 50% success rate, so I got a lot of practice in on this tree.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Today I pulled the original wiring off the tree. Grafts have taken well and are growing strongly. Here is the graft I did this season.

image.jpeg

Once the graft has taken, you should decandle the apical growth on the branch, but not the newly grafted scion. That should be left to grow strongly. This will force the tree to take more energy from the scion, strengthening the graft union.

Scott

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking good!! Is this an up to date photo? Edit- I see I posted too early, apparently you are still adding pics!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are some other grafts that have had a couple of seasons of growth.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Now I'll start chasing the apical growth back to the grafts. In a few years I souled have much better branch structure and the whole tree should be a lot more compact.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking good!! Is this an up to date photo? Edit- I see I posted too early, apparently you are still adding pics!

Here's the tree today.

image.jpeg

I still need to do the fall maintenance - needle pulling and bud selection. In the winter I'll cut back. The apex still needs to come down.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was hoping someone would ask about the white cups. 1 1/2 inch pvc cut into ~3/4 inch lengths. I pour the fertilizer in them. When it's gone, I pour in some more. Easier than making cakes and I don't have to mess with tea bags or buy those little fertilizer cups.

Anyway, I'll post an updated picture of the tree after this winters work. I'll wire out the tree completely and cut back some of the leggy growth.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks Adair - I'll be doing that in a couple of weeks. This winter I'll wire it out and, because the grafts have done well, cut back some of the leggy branches. It'll look more refined and compact after this seasons work. I'm really looking forward to it.

- Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
BTW - I hope I didn't make it sound like Dwight Way did a bad job. They were a regular nursery, not a bonsai nursery, and kind of a fixture in Berkley. But had some bonsai trees - mostly black pine - on a few benches in the back of the nursery. They were wonderful people - they even shipped the tree to me (being a neighborhood nursery it was not something they typically did). I think it was a hobby that Frank Yabusaki did, but he died in the late 90's, I think. His children Ken and Emi did a great job keeping the trees alive as their father got older, but they were nurserymen, not bonsai people and so the trees were a bit out of shape by the time I saw them. The nursery closed its doors in 2014 after Emi died and I'm proud to have one of their trees.

- Scott

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progress Scott. I need to do the exact same thing to a tree I have so would love a little more info/tips with your process of grafting? how old are the scions your using? also looks like you have used forked branches as scions? what time of year did you graft these? How long till they take? when did you take the bag off? What'd you use to cut into the branch? HAHA so many questions...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great progress Scott. I need to do the exact same thing to a tree I have so would love a little more info/tips with your process of grafting?...

Here's a great link.

http://bonsaitonight.com/?s=grafting+black+pine

Jonas does a great job walking you through the process.

And be sure to watch the master at work.

You'll need some tools:

image.jpeg

A grafting knife, some cellophane bags, and some grafting tape. Put some sphagnum moss inside of the bags to keep the humidity in there high.

image.jpeg

The keys to success are lining up the cambium, cutting healthy scions, keeping the moss wet (I use a little syringe), and doing it at the right time of year.

...how old are the scions your using? also looks like you have used forked branches as scions?....

The scions are all 1-2 years old. They were all decandled the previous season. It's ok to use a scion with two shoots from last summers decandling. Just make sure they are healthy and not too strong or not too weak.

...what time of year did you graft these?...

Ideally, you should graft when the understock is growing, but the scions are dormant. Some people will cut their scions in winter and keep them in the refrigerator until spring, but then you're not using fresh scions. Second best is to graft when both the scions and understock are dormant. Here in Houston, that's a 2 week period at the end of January. That's when I do it.

...How long till they take?...

You'll generally know in a month or so if they're going to take. If they're still green at the end of summer they're going to make it.

...when did you take the bag off?...

Take it off in stages. First cut a hole into the bag, then rip the end of the bag off. I cut it off completely when I've got some good growth. That might be the end of the first season, or it might be the following spring. Key is to make sure the graft union is secure before you remove its support. Stressing the union will kill the graft.

...What'd you use to cut into the branch?...

Grafting knife above.

Good luck - once you get the hang of it it's really fun.

Scott

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I noticed he didn't put bags on his in the video. I'm assuming he did after everything was done.

Rick

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great turning it around. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the old needles pulled, the leggy stuff cut back, new wire, etc.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
An alternate method to the bag and spaghnum miss is to wrap the scion up in parafilm. It looks a bit like a hand rolled cigarette.

I think there is a video of Ryan Neil doing it on YouTube.

Top Bottom