Dyed big box store mulch

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any problems with the dye in big box store "mulch, bark"?
Only that I think its nowhere near as attractive as natural mulch. In fact, some dyed mulches I find to be hideous.
As to the dyes themselves, I guess the jury is still out. I don't eat food or drink drinks with dye unless it is completely natural and organic, and would never use dyed mulch around edible plantings.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Only that I think its nowhere near as attractive as natural mulch. In fact, some dyed mulches I find to be hideous.
As to the dyes themselves, I guess the jury is still out. I don't eat food or drink drinks with dye unless it is completely natural and organic, and would never use dyed mulch around edible plantings.

Agreed!

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In the landscape, I enjoy the contrast between the red mulch and my achillea filipendulina. I draw the line at the mulches that include a weed preventer, such as the "Preen" brand. Just as a practical note, when fresh the red dye stains shoe soles and might have the potential to be tracked to your carpets or flooring.
I would much prefer mulch from the tree trimmers, but my guys haven't dropped any off yet. I live in hope.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the mulch is just sold by color, is it actually bark? Could be any kind of wood.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The dye costs more.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not anymore. It is all some of the box stores sell now.

Sucks.

Still useless!

I keep forgetting the dude who said he likes to collect his fresh, but somebody needs a machete!

I'm with they phased out the stuff that doesn't sell to garden grandma, but we'd be stupid to buy it!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chances are the box store mulch particles are too big for using in a bonsai pot.

Top Bottom