Dying 1 year JBP

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Hello, i came back from school this week and discovered that my 1 year and 2 year old pines are suffering from some sort of disorder. When i last saw them 3 weeks ago, they had swelling buds, and nice needles. Now, they have browning needles, and many have died. I have had my brother watering them for me, but he is only good for that, so i didnt expect disease reports or anything. Any guesses to my ailment, and the solution? It appears the needles begin to brown at the tips.

Attachments

• Pine 001.jpg
    Pine 001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Pine 004.jpg
    Pine 004.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Pine 006.jpg
    Pine 006.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 120

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a JBP sitting dead in it's pot that I can't explain so take this for what it's worth but the soil looks very heavy and wet. If your brother has been watering on a schedule rather than when they needed it they may have been overwatered.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The weed growth in the pot is a big clue. Overwatering would be my guess, combined with soil that retains too much water....So it's not all your brother's fault...

Weeds like that grow when soil doesn't drain. JBP needs pretty free draining soil to be happy.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yup, probably over watering...probably needle cast.. Which is a fungal disease that pines get.. Unfortunately, I believe the tree is dead...Although this tree would die quicker than an older tree, it probably began to die weeks before you left... Pines generally take a long time to die. Sometimes a tree can look good for a month or 2, when in actuallity, the tree is on it's way out.

Rob

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
yeah, perhaps it is my bad on this one. They are only seedlings though, im not putting them in the good stuff. Its okay, because i finally found a turface source. So, final verdict is needle cast caused by too much moisture? Will affected plants rebound?

Top Bottom