Dying Fukien Tea Tree Bonsai

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B

If it had such a drastic reaction to the first repotting, I think repotting it again in winter is a death sentence if it still has some life in it. Have a little patience, water sparingly and see what happens.
Not sure what happened to my post...

Carol said it. I was thinking the same...Overwatering and repotting.

The Japanese say it takes ten years to learn how to water correctly. It takes 10 minutes to learn how to water one tree. Put your finger in the dirt and if it's moist don't water. I don't water my FT unless it's bone dry.

This little tree is doing what it needs to do and will continue to do so. Nothing anyone can say will change that right now. You're not a bonsai tree whisperer at this point and neither are most (almost all) of us. I suggest getting a copy of the NY Times bestselling book 'The Hidden Life of Trees' to take your mind off of it.

I hope the tree does well but it's important to leave it alone. It needs very little water because of less respiration in winter and lots of other reasons.

Am sincerely wishing you and your tree well.

rootpuma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think the biggest reason for most of what I have read is because they bought them new and didn't give them time to adjust to their new surroundings before chopping and putting into a new pot, because they want it to look the way they want in the fancy new pot they bought for that tree right now.

Else this thread would read I just got this new plant and it dropped all its leaves shortly after bringing it home.

Every time you repot it will drop almost all its leaves...lol...the cycle repeats.

I leave mine outside in S. Texas year round in one spot, just moving it to rotate it till the temps get to about 40. At that point for me it will turn all the leaves black overnight and drop them.

Top Bottom