Dying JWP?

sdm

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello, I live in seattle, region 8b and i have a Japanese white pine which is maybe 2-3 years old. I got this tree maybe a year ago and it seemed to be doing well until January but it's needles started turning brown thereafter. I was kept in an uncovered section of the patio during the winter. My hunch is it stayed wet all winter and from what i am reading JWPs don't like their feet wet. Now, it seems to be dying now, can i do something about it?

Current condition:
tempImage96ueL3.jpg

tempImageqn80vb.jpg
Trunk seems to be alive..

Image from fall winter
tempImage5Oec4l.jpg tempImagecFMEle.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea sorry, it looks like a goner.
You can wait a bit since the trunk still has some green but that can happen as they die. The branches die first. The brown foliage means the branches stopped getting water and dried out from the cold, dty winter winds and the pot froze solid so no more water transport.

How cold did it get there?

Leaving trees exposed with no protection in winter can be a death sentence more often than not.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may have to do with the elevation via that second pot.

Welcome to Crazy!

This dreaded case of "protection" that kills.

At first I was going with the darker seemingly plastic pot, which may still play a role, but elevated, it will freeze from the top down and the bottom up.

I don't think it has much to do with care unless you repotted it.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
White pine=COLD mountains pine. Zone 8 not that cold! Looks like dried out instead:(. Continue care/Sun maybe some live bud left to grow?

Yea it should have been fine typically but Ive had a scots pine get freezer burned needles when the pot froze and it dried out.
Thankfully for me, it didnt kill he tree, it just looked like crap for a bit

Top Bottom