Dying tips on shimpaku

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Anyone know what this could be? A small percentage has it. Maybe 20 percent on half the trees. It has been very hot here. No fertilizers have been applied in over 5 weeks. Looks like the center have been eaten out but it could be heat or fungal related too20180608_091553.jpg

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thanks vance. I had this problem early this spring and tacked it up to some sunburn as we had an early hot spell. Im guessing its a water uptake issue in the roots? Im noticing some more languishing foliage and leggy growth now. Im assumig my tree is a bit weak.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had this problem early this spring and tacked it up to some sunburn as we had an early hot spell. Im guessing its a water uptake issue in the roots? Im noticing some more languishing foliage and leggy growth now. Im assumig my tree is a bit weak.

Dappled West Sun, 6 hours minimum, keep them hydrated. Trim all of the crappy growth off and fertilize for the remainder of the grow season there - should be fine :)

Grimmy

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thanks Grimmy,

I currently have this shimpaku in full sun, all day, with southwest exposure. My backyard is wide open and faces west. I will bring it to the only place I can think of that has those conditions, in the yard in the shadow of a larger tree, and let it grow. I am already giving a steady dose of Dr. Earth Organic feed, so I'll continue that as well. That Tree is in need of a small trim anyway, so I guess I'll take care of it and do the maintenance all at once.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Grimmy,

I currently have this shimpaku in full sun, all day, with southwest exposure. My backyard is wide open and faces west. I will bring it to the only place I can think of that has those conditions, in the yard in the shadow of a larger tree, and let it grow. I am already giving a steady dose of Dr. Earth Organic feed, so I'll continue that as well. That Tree is in need of a small trim anyway, so I guess I'll take care of it and do the maintenance all at once.

A simple 4 - 6 stake setup with 35 percent shade cloth, a shade canopy will work. Simple and inexpensive. I do that anytime moving plants is a pain, sometimes using 75 percent and I am far more North - this place has good pricing, etc... http://www.shadeclothstore.com/?wcw...MImLm89d7E2wIVklqGCh0ejgrYEAAYASAAEgIGDvD_BwE

Grimmy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have found when having trouble like this; move the tree into an area with a lot of light but no direct sun and don't allow it to become dry.
Ok. It is in direct sun for 12 hours a day in black 1 gallon pots. Could be root zone getting too hot

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
South facing. I cut down a few pines so they get a Lot more direct sun this year. Epitome of full sun in zone 9.20180608_152300.jpg

Top Bottom