E Mt Bikes

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
It looks like I maybe headed in the direction of changing over to an electric Mt Bike in the near future. I know there are a number of Mt Bikers on the forum. Anyone ahead of me on the curve there? Any advice or experience you would be willing to share? Thanks.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In socal there is a love / hate thing going on with them right now. They aren't allowed on non-motorized trails back in the national forest, and yet ebikers keep going back there poaching the trails, so many mountain bikers are feeling some hate towards them - and the people who ride them. Entitled jerks can be found just about anywhere, doing anything, but it is a hard enough battle keeping dirt bikes off the nonmotorized trails... and now this.

In an urban environment or for commuting they cant be beat.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Because @Arcto gave me a thumbs up, I thought I would add to this thread.

There isn't anyone who mountain bikes in SoCal who isn't aware of trail access issues. Hikers complain of mountain bikers back in the wilderness, mountain bikers complain of 4WD trucks on their trails, etc. However, there seems to be a confusion of whether an e-bike is a mountain bike... or a motorcycle.

More importantly, the definition of e-bike (whether Class I, II, or III) all encompasses a motor that doesn't exceed 750W (1 hp). Guess how easy it is to hack an electric motor? See the following videos for what you might be seeing on your bike trails in the future. More importantly... how would rangers know these are different from regular / approved e-bikes? It is much simpler for them to say "motors are not allowed" than "certain motors in certain configurations are not allowed... pending personal investigation".

Here's a nice video showing a guy with a 1500 watt e-bike. His speed maxes out at 34.5 MPH on a flat course... when a Class II e-bike is supposed to be speed-limited to 20 MPH throttle assist.

Here's another:

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just stick to the oldschool pedals, no cheating, just a man power!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a conundrum. I can see that older people should have access to these remote areas even if they can't handle a regular bike anymore.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I ended up getting a class 1 Mt Bike. Locally, more trails are being opened to this class. Others are still closed. I respect the regulations and don’t get greedy. There are enough trails open to me. Public lands have a lot of different stakeholders involved and sometimes their expectations don’t line up. The problem seems amplified when near major population areas. Unfortunately a minority of users are either ignorant of rules and ethics or worst, think that they are special enough that regulations don’t apply to them. Whether hiking, biking, pogo sticking and yes, Yamadori collecting, when they are noticed abusing, that entire user group gets a black eye. Which is why group self regulating can be important. I’ve noticed that a significant number of e bikers didn’t get Mt E bikes because they wanted to, but because they HAD to if they wanted to continue Mt biking. My experience with them is that they are conservative riders and appreciative of still being able to ride.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a new area and growing so I am sure it will take time to work out reasonable rules and behaviors. I recall when people were loosing their minds over how that new fad snowboarding was going to ruin skiing.
I have an electric fat tire bike (https://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/products/biktrix-juggernaut-classic-original) mainly for commuting and for use on groomed ski trails (Nordic Ski Patrol) when the snow is firm enough. But I do like to play as well, and an e-bike on snow is more fun than I can put into words.
Washington has one of the more restrictive laws on this; no e-bikes on 'unimproved' train (e.g. trails) unless approved by the land owner/manager. This helps keep them off of hiking trails and out of the wilderness but allows for some flexibility.

I would note that an area near me has managed to develop a mix of hiking trails and single tracks as well as some equestrian use, and there have been little to no problems that I know of. I asked about e-bikes and the response was "you are more than welcome". I attribute that level of success to the managers and community of users being as inclusive as possible, and making efforts to communicate and make reasonable accommodations.
e.g. hikers encouraged to avoid the single tracks but if they do use them are to give way to bikes, and vice versa. They post when the trails are soft/muddy so horses/bikes might cause excessive damage and most follow the posted recommendations so no enforcement is necessary.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
This is a new area and growing so I am sure it will take time to work out reasonable rules and behaviors. I recall when people were loosing their minds over how that new fad snowboarding was going to ruin skiing.
I have an electric fat tire bike (https://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/products/biktrix-juggernaut-classic-original) mainly for commuting and for use on groomed ski trails (Nordic Ski Patrol) when the snow is firm enough. But I do like to play as well, and an e-bike on snow is more fun than I can put into words.
Washington has one of the more restrictive laws on this; no e-bikes on 'unimproved' train (e.g. trails) unless approved by the land owner/manager. This helps keep them off of hiking trails and out of the wilderness but allows for some flexibility.

I would note that an area near me has managed to develop a mix of hiking trails and single tracks as well as some equestrian use, and there have been little to no problems that I know of. I asked about e-bikes and the response was "you are more than welcome". I attribute that level of success to the managers and community of users being as inclusive as possible, and making efforts to communicate and make reasonable accommodations.
e.g. hikers encouraged to avoid the single tracks but if they do use them are to give way to bikes, and vice versa. They post when the trails are soft/muddy so horses/bikes might cause excessive damage and most follow the posted recommendations so no enforcement is necessary.

Interesting. I haven’t heard of fat bikes patrolling Nordic areas before. What place do you patrol at?

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting. I haven’t heard of fat bikes patrolling Nordic areas before. What place do you patrol at?
White pass Washington.
We allow (and rent) fat tire bikes as long as the snow is firm enough.

Top Bottom