E. Red cedar

Arh030

Seedling
Reaction score
I know no one likes them... but, I like literati style trees and it seems that this species would fit. Has anyone tried it?

thanks

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Juniperus virginiana, eastern red cedar, ERC for short. They get "dogged" by many more seasonsoned grower because they have "issues". There are thousands of them everywhere east of the Rocky Mountains. And thousands of bonsai hobby growers have tried their hand at training ERC. Despite thousands of attempts, there are only 5 or so "exhibition quality" ERC on the show circuit. The reason is that thousands of hobby bonsai growers eventually put their ERC on the burn pile. They are frustrating to work with. Now, it is true, that a small handful of artists successfully create bonsai with them. But these small number of successes is vastly outweighed by the huge number that end up on the burn pile.

It takes forever to get the foliage to form dense foliage pads. They are very prone to a fungal infection, cedar-apple rust and related cedar-quince rusts, and cedar-pear rusts. As many as 60% of the ERC will eventually succumb to the rust. Once the tree has the rust, it is difficult to get rid of. Mancozeb has some effectiveness, but the infection is systemic and persistent, difficult to get rid of.

All those reasons are part of why people end up composting their ERC.

But, if you find one with a nice attractive trunk, there is no reason to not try. It is a right of passage. Every new to bonsai in eastern North America ends up trying one or more. And most, but not all, will put them on the burn pile. Those that don't put them on the burn pile, often end up with a really nice specimen.

Do yourself a favor, at the same time you start with a ERC, get yourself an 'Itoigawa' or 'Kishu' shimpaku juniper. Raise them side by side. In 5 years, you will have a really nice shimpaku. And, you will see why you see so few ERC at North American bonsai shows.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I happen to love them. The big thing is you basically have to find a really interesting one that can be trained using the branches and foliage you collect it with. I've chased the foliage back closer to the trunk, but it's not as forgiving as other junipers. I think the ERC would lend itself to the literati style, which gereally has sparse foliage. One thing, if you really dislike juvenile foliage, ERC might not be your tree. I really don't mind it. I take whatever the tree gives me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd grow it from a cutting or small seedling.

Welcome to Crazy!

I found that you can make it what you want, and easily keep it there with mad pruning.

Sorce

Arh030

Seedling
Reaction score
I was aware of the styling problems but thought the straight lines could look good for a literati tree. I did not know about the rust problems, thanks for the feedback.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
One good thing: they grow really fast down here in the South. I planted five ring finger sized saplings in the ground when we got here 2 years ago. I watered and fertilized them agressively and the biggest two are over 1 1/2" in diameter.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It is a rite of passage, you should attempt several ERC. But please get at least one shimpaku at the same time. Just to see the differences.

@Joe Dupre' I know some, including you, actually can turn out decent ERC as bonsai. But the average mere mortal usually ends up frustrated. I take my hat off to you, and to the others who can handle them.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's one that breaks all the rules. First, it's a ERC. That's one. LOL. Next, it has it's bottom branch more than one third the way up the trunk. AND that branch emerges from inside of a curve. One more........ the one stilt root is a no-no. Still another.....can you say "juvenile foliage"? And finally, it's in a bright red, GLAZED pot. Oh, the horrors! Yet I still, smile when I look at it cuz it just has personality.

unnamed - 2020-10-31T165921.142.jpg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one that breaks all the rules. First, it's a ERC. That's one. LOL. Next, it has it's bottom branch more than one third the way up the trunk. AND that branch emerges from inside of a curve. One more........ the one stilt root is a no-no. Still another.....can you say "juvenile foliage"? And finally, it's in a bright red, GLAZED pot. Oh, the horrors! Yet I still, smile when I look at it cuz it just has personality.

View attachment 349493

Actually, the only thing I do not like about this tree is the red glazed pot! The rest of it I would be quite happy with :D

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Actually, the only thing I do not like about this tree is the red glazed pot! The rest of it I would be quite happy with :D
Well, LD, you are certainly more open minded than the few that tout the "rules". The pot is a $1.00 thrift store find with a hole drilled in it. I initially did it as a farce, but I've grown to like it.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, LD, you are certainly more open minded than the few that tout the "rules". The pot is a $1.00 thrift store find with a hole drilled in it. I initially did it as a farce, but I've grown to like it.

It's got a bit of an anthropomorphic quality that I enjoy :) The pot looks like a large salad bowl to me ;) But, for a $1...heck yeah!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's cuz it IS a salad bowl. I went on a spree a while back and bought 5 "pots" for $8.00 from thrift stores. Try THAT at your neighborhood bonsai store! My buddies tease me about using cheap and found containers. I tell them I'd rather have a nice tree in a so-so pot than a so-so tree in a nice pot. Anyway, it's not the common opinion, but the tree is the most important part for me. A nice pot is great, but not necessary for my enjoyment of the tree.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 349493
I really like this ..i always look at them when passing them in wild n never see any like this..i would take every one i saw like this if i come across..very nice.. N hey i have salad bowl too lol from goodwill

Attachments

• 20210828_153013~2.jpg
    20210828_153013~2.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 90

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took this little erc from train tracks not long ago just for kicks

Attachments

• 20211001_161956_HDR.jpg
    20211001_161956_HDR.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 85

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

View attachment 349493
I like it :cool:

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
N this silly little micro erc forrest i put together since i see so many of these little guys

Attachments

• 20201029_131222.jpg
    20201029_131222.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 92

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How were the roots? Had a big tap-root? The trunk has potential
Trying to recall but i dont think it was too crazy..lot of fine roots if i recall..the landscape fabric down under the juniper bed kept it from plunging too deep

Top Bottom