Early birthday present...Bald Cypress

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey you tree nuts.
I wanted to share the bald cypress my teacher gave me today as an early birthday gift.
It is a Blade Cypress that she has had in training since 1991. The trunk is about 3 inches and the tree is 27inches to the top of the jin.
Here's some pics20160914_150559.jpg
Trunk base20160914_150630.jpg
And the jin20160914_150714.jpg
Since I'm sharing what she gave me for my birthday I figured I'd show to Cresent pot she gave me that she made about 10 years ago.20160914_150934.jpg
I can't wait to wire this thing. It also really needs a repot bad (last one was 2009)
Thanks for looking

Aaron

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice presents you got! I'm jealous :)

She must really LIKE you to gift you these lol.

Happy b-day man! :mad:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice presents you got! I'm jealous :)

She must really LIKE you to gift you these lol.

Happy b-day man! :mad:
Lol she's a funny lady, she's been giving me the trees she can no longer care for (to heavy). I hate when she talks about it but she says that she already left everything bonsai related to me in her will. Soooo, I better get to know those trees! They'll be part of my collection one day.
We were actually talking today how we have very much the same type of personality, just with a 60+ year difference:p
I've already got one branch wired! Lol

Aaron

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks great. Did she grow it from seed? Only reason I ask is the branch development is not what I think it should be for 25 years of development. Not that thats a bad thing, it just means you can really push it to the next lvl!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks great. Did she grow it from seed? Only reason I ask is the branch development is not what I think it should be for 25 years of development. Not that thats a bad thing, it just means you can really push it to the next lvl!
Not from seed but she said that she ordered it as a 16"tall pencil thick sapling. Also this one has been through some neglect in the past years, this one is gonna be fun to repot. It's growing up into the moss, and out of the drainage holes. It does have some wild knees that Ill need to show off at the next repot.20160914_181537.jpg

I do think I'll be able to take this thing to the next level though. For one thing, the lower branches need to thicken as they are almost the same thickness all the way up the tree. Unfortunately my teacher is getting pretty old and can't care for her trees as well as she used to, that's why I asked to learn from her and start getting her trees back into shape.

Aaron

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
That's a beautiful looking Bald Cypress. My father in law gave me some money for my birthday, gonna spend it on a Bald Cypress as soon as I can find a decent one!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hahaha I just noticed in the first picture you can see all 3 of my dogs sun bathing.:p

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did we talk about this before?

When is your Bday?

If it is mine....Crazy!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did we talk about this before?

When is your Bday?

If it is mine....Crazy!

Sorce
It's on the 14th of this next month but she wanted me to get it back in shape before the winter came. She loves my wiring, I wish @Adair M did! Lol but Adair has taught me a lot about wiring.
Pine on tuesday, BC on Wednesday, and an oak I ordered 2 months ago today! Might as well be my birthday or week!:p
When's your Bday sorce? Of course you don't have to answer that lol

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's on the 14th of this next month but she wanted me to get it back in shape before the winter came. She loves my wiring, I wish @Adair M did! Lol but Adair has taught me a lot about wiring.
Pine on tuesday, BC on Wednesday, and an oak I ordered 2 months ago today! Might as well be my birthday or week!:p
When's your Bday sorce? Of course you don't have to answer that lol

Aaron

September 30th....still a Libra..
Go figure!

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Should develop well. Study the top and make plans to do some carving to eliminate the straight saw cuts. Should be a top that the weather or hurricane has broken and twisted off. I am envious of your relationship with your teacher.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I definitely gotta get a bald cypress! Too many folks on here showin off their southern trees! Enjoy that beauty!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am envious of your relationship with your teacher.
You should also 'pray the lord' to have fallen in grace of this lady bonsaist.
I feel extremely honored to be under her wing. Funny enough is she says that I teach her just as much as she teaches me. I'm also the only person she's ever been graceful enough to teach 1on1, she must see something in me. Lol she tells me to say she's my grandma :p:p:p

Aaron

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What are your plans for the tree this spring? It needs a lot of work. I would honestly either cut it lower and wire a branch for a new apex and let it grow a few years for taper, or create a dead wood type section( induce more age) and/or the tree needs a full wiring and some cut backs.

Top Bottom