Early blooming

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello all,
my recently recovered prunus incisa has began to bloom very very early, will this damage the tree or hinder its recovery process?
only two flowers are growing so far but im worried if this means it wont bloom next spring or not have much energy for winter dormancy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently recovered from what?

Doesn't sound bad.....yet!

Sorce

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Recently recovered from what?

Doesn't sound bad.....yet!

Sorce
it was mail ordered and came very shriveled and very underwatered
i did defoliation and basic care and it recovered very nicely
and its that "yet" that has me worried!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Plants in general, and trees in particular tend to flower "off-season" when they are under stress, especially when they have suffered from drought. As if they took what remains of their energy so as not to die before reproducing.

If the plant is healthy enough, no worries, but on a bonsai, I would remove the flowers so they won't exhaust the plant.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Plants in general, and trees in particular tend to flower "off-season" when they are under stress, especially when they have suffered from drought. As if they took what remains of their energy so as not to die before reproducing.

If the plant is healthy enough, no worries, but on a bonsai, I would remove the flowers so they won't exhaust the plant.
Dang, I really thought that it was going to be fine, new shoots came out and everything, oh well :(

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reflection time.

People say that plants send seed when they are about to die, as to reproduce. Which leads folks to believe that plants that flower and send seed are about to die.

However.

That's a human thought.

Survival of the fittest means that nature will allow a plant to flower and seed.....if it's about to survive some fucked up shit.

Keep the positive energy and watch that thing live.

Water water water .

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Some trees bloom again under stress. I saw a Japanese Magnolia blooming a little today, and have seen some cherry trees blooming after a hot dry fall as well. Can’t really diagnose your tree without photos, but a little blooming now isn’t unheard of.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some trees bloom again under stress. I saw a Japanese Magnolia blooming a little today, and have seen some cherry trees blooming after a hot dry fall as well. Can’t really diagnose your tree without photos, but a little blooming now isn’t unheard of.
Sure thing,
It's just that main one along with a small one on the back, everything else is just leavesIMG_20190918_073554_914.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I respectfully disagree. The plant is using up buds and growing leaves now and will not have time to generate new buds for next spring, there isn't enough time in the growing season with the diminishing sun. That said, I don't know what you do except treat it like a live plant. Maybe sink the pot for the winter in a favorable situation ASAP and be prepared to protect it from the worst extremes of weather like deep cold (under 30°F) and drying winds.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The plant is using up buds and growing leaves now and will not have time to generate new buds for next spring,

Prunus are prone to lose branches, this will probably be the case for this one, but since this species is from much colder climates than Dallas where it will probably have a longer growing season, I'm pretty sure that at least some buds will be viable...

Top Bottom