Early February Stroll Thru Nat Arb.....

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
How awesome for you to have access to that, thanks for sharing. Kind of makes me want to throw everything I have on to the burn pile, except for the pots. But I still find pleasure in growing them, so that's good enough.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I may ask Mr. @Walter Pall, would you consider this crab apple above to fit the "fairy tale style"?
And any thoughts on the quince would also be appreciated, sir.

The crab apple and the quince are both very good examples of the Naturalistic Bonsai Style. They do not try to look like a bonsai but like a very nice and interesting real tree with soul and character. Trees in the Fairy Tale Bonsai Style try to be impressive and use exaggerated natural features making the tree almost grotesque, like a benevolent caricature. Both trees shown are too nice for the Fairy Tale Bonsai Style.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The crab apple and the quince are both very good examples of the Naturalistic Bonsai Style. They do not try to look like a bonsai but like a very nice and interesting real tree with soul and character. Trees in the Fairy Tale Bonsai Style try to be impressive and use exaggerated natural features making the tree almost grotesque, like a benevolent caricature. Both trees shown are too nice for the Fairy Tale Bonsai Style.
Great, thanks for that!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Seems like its only block wind then? Does nothing to maintain consistent temps when they drop at night. That's what has me thinking about doing something similar
Also the 2 trees with the bamboo are very large.
And the ponderosa has no protection at all.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Top Bottom