Early JBP development

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm not a beginner per se, but this is a very beginner question. I have a few JBP that are a few years old. All I'm trying to do is grow them out right now, but seeing them today I realized they have a ton of buds in one location. Should these be paired down to avoid whorls or should I just leave them be to let the tree grow faster with less stress?

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If it's your leader, then keep the biggest one and one that's pointed in the direction/side you want.

If it's a side branch then pick two of similar size and strength.

I'll leave timing up to the experts, since I don't know what to recommend for Texas.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not a beginner per se, but this is a very beginner question. I have a few JBP that are a few years old. All I'm trying to do is grow them out right now, but seeing them today I realized they have a ton of buds in one location. Should these be paired down to avoid whorls or should I just leave them be to let the tree grow faster?
Whorls only matter at points you are going to or might keep.
Sun-lit foliage is the growth engine.
Shaded foliage is not productive and will be lost.

After that it is pretty much a matter of your convenience (e.g., can you cope with the sprawl of branches?).
The best basal flare will result from a long whip being blown around by the breezes. But this won't happen in a pot unless the pot is secured somehow, so it won't blow over (or ground-planted).

Top Bottom