East Bay Bonsai Society Annual Show October 12-13

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This guy looks familiar! @MACH5

Welcome to the to the Bay! You might not want to leave. :)

13327392_1021502084592421_5765706972784215313_n.jpg

East Bay Bonsai Society is with Sergio Cuan.
September 5 at 11:30 AM ·
EAST BAY BONSAI SOCIETY ANNUAL SHOW - OCT. 12-13 2019
SERGIO CUAN, BONSAI ARTIST HEADLINER - FIRST TIME ON THE WEST COAST
October 12 - 13, 2019 Oakland, California
East Bay Bonsai Society: Annual Show at the Lakeside Park Garden Center at Lake Merritt, located at 666 Bellevue Avenue. Show hours are Saturday 10:00am - 5:00pm and Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm. The show's headliner is Sergio Cuan, notable bonsai artist awarded the “finest deciduous bonsai” at the US National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester NY. For the first time on the West Coast, Sergio will conduct a presentation on deciduous trees on Saturday, October 12th, from 1:00pm to 3:00pm and demonstation on two trees, a Japanese Maple and Cork Bark Elm, on Sunday, October 13th, from from 1:00pm to 2:30pm . Raffle tickets will be sold for a chance to win either trees.
Sergio Cuan is a graphic designer with a BFA in art and design from Pratt Institute. He uses these talents for his bonsai artistry. His love of art and nature since as a child led him to bonsai as a living art form which he believes require the intimate dialogue between artist and tree. Sergio’s work has appeared in International Bonsai magazine, Bonsai Focus magazine and Bonsai Bark blog. His work has been shown at numerous exhibitions and has received several awards including “Finest Deciduous Award” at the 4th US National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester, NY and “Best in Show” at the 2016 Winter Silhouette Expo in Kannapolis, NC.
There will also be a sale of bonsai and related materials along with a silent auction. A "tree doctor" will also be available to answer your bonsai-related questions.
For information, visit website www.eastbaybonsai.org.
See More
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, night and outdoor
No photo description available.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Damn wish i could be there.

@mach love your trees! You are probably one of the ones i inspire to learn from the most. Ever think about stopping in on Cleveland? :rolleyes:

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Damn I might have to stick around for the demo! Especially since its deciduous.

Going to visit any of the local guys gardens?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Damn I might have to stick around for the demo! Especially since its deciduous.

Going to visit any of the local guys gardens?

I believe on Sunday I will be demoing an elm and a Japanese maple. Unfortunately I don't think I will have time to visit private gardens when I'm there. LOL they've got me on the clock! 🙃

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@misfit11 Will you be there?
IDK. We'll see. That's my youngest's 8th birthday weekend. We had talked about doing his party that day. I haven't been to the collection at Lake Merritt in a long time and it would be great to check the show and meet you in person. Maybe I can bring the boys out on Sunday and see your demo. I've pretty much got them hooked on the bonsai thing at this point!

Cory

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
IDK. We'll see. That's my youngest's 8th birthday weekend. We had talked about doing his party that day. I haven't been to the collection at Lake Merritt in a long time and it would be great to check the show and meet you in person. Maybe I can bring the boys out on Sunday and see your demo. I've pretty much got them hooked on the bonsai thing at this point!

Cory

Keep those youngsters hooked! You'll need them later!! My two now grown up daughters could not be more disinterested in bonsai despite heavy bribes etc. Sigh!

Well, it would be great to meet you Cory and I hope you make it out to Lake Merritt. The venue looks beautiful and inspiring. I am scheduled to do an interpretative dance after the demo so perhaps that might further entice you to come... er or perhaps not! 😂🤣

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should be there Saturday. Hope to meet some of you.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe on Sunday I will be demoing an elm and a Japanese maple. Unfortunately I don't think I will have time to visit private gardens when I'm there. LOL they've got me on the clock! 🙃
Be sure to go see the permanent collection next door! Some famous trees are there! And you might run into Kathy Shaner. She haunts the place.

Remember, you owe me for saving you from working an Ume at your demo! Lol!!!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Remember, you owe me for saving you from working an Ume at your demo! Lol!!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Be sure to go see the permanent collection next door! Some famous trees are there! And you might run into Kathy Shaner. She haunts the place.

Yes will definitely check out the Merritt collection!

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i am very excited for this and the Capitol City show the following weekend! Eeee! 😁

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Yes will definitely check out the Merritt collection!
Sergio, will this be your first time to go to California to see bonsai? I know you’ve seen some of them at the Nationals, but I bet you’ll see more Sierra, Rocky Mountain, Western and California junipers than you have ever seen in your life. They’re wonderful! Rare here on the East Coast.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, will this be your first time to go to California to see bonsai? I know you’ve seen some of them at the Nationals, but I bet you’ll see more Sierra, Rocky Mountain, Western and California junipers than you have ever seen in your life. They’re wonderful! Rare here on the East Coast.

Yes, first time in Cali doing anything bonsai related. But having traveled often to LA on business, I have become familiar at least with the Cali junipers. Definitely looking forward to seeing much more! Also first time in the San Fran area.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just driving around the SF area you should see some impressive live oaks and of course coastal redwoods. Too bad you're on a tight schedule. The old growth redwoods near SF are not to be missed.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just driving around the SF area you should see some impressive live oaks and of course coastal redwoods. Too bad you're on a tight schedule. The old growth redwoods near SF are not to be missed.

I know... those redwoods!! :eek:Wish I could stay a bit longer but I am getting on a plane almost as I am done with the demo on Sunday. :oops: I hope next time!

Top Bottom