East Coast Bonsai Education

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Now that I am two years out of school and settled in with a solid career path, I feel like I now have the time(and funds) to pursue my bonsai education with increased fervor. Up until this point, I have worked with some local club members, read like a maniac, studied every blog, own all the boon DVDs, and of course participated on all the popular forums. I have been involved on and off with bonsai since I was 13, and really settled in to pursue it seriously at the age of 20. I am now 25, and I am proud of how far I have progressed over the years and the knowledge I have acquired, but I now see myself at the point where my progress will be slow and stunted without higher education. I know we have all had the discussion about self education versus professional study, and while some people are on the fence of the discussion, I know I would benefit from a professional education. My first choice would be to study with Boon. However, I am from Pittsburgh, and 3 intensives a year would end up costing me about 4 grand. Not to mention that would require serious vacation time, because of the travel required. With those two things in mind, what are my options for "intensive" study on the East Coast? I checked Bill's website, and it doesnt look like such a program is offered. Rochester isnt a bad drive for me. Jim doyle has guest artists in, which might be an option, but I have had mixed results with guest artists demonstrations. And, the issue with that is I am burning vacation days to attend a 3 hour+/- demo. The National Arboretum comes to mind, thinking it would be a hotspot of education, but I do not know much about the services they offer/how the club is involved. So, there is my understanding as of now. Any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

I have also considered getting the clubs in the area to collaborate on bringing an artist in to offer a 3 day focused study, but I havent had much traction. Certainly more(any) guest artists at my club would be a great benefit.

Patrick

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Get a hold of John Romano at New England Bonsai near Boston or Chase Rosade.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How about Natures Way? Arent they in Harrisburg, PA? They would be alot closer than Connecticut/Massachusettes.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
That's interesting that of all the teacher's your initial thought was boon. I'd have to say in our club here in seattle, his students seem to have the nicest trees and a great grasp on development.

was impressed when suthin came to our convention. Is new england too far.

Ryan neil used to come to seattle but cancelled all his students. he's about 3 hrs drive from here which i find in my adbanced years longer than what i want to deal with.

Why don't you keep local, you can always change. Let us know who you decide on :)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Walter pall was at Natures way this weekend, did you think about attending? I may try to next year.

I would suggest studying with John Romano and joining the Kaikou school he runs at NE Bonsai. It probably isn't quite on the level of boons intensives, but I think you would learn a ton from John. I am a bit biased though...

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
I have to say being on the east coast as well and being newer to bonsai I was looking for best information out there. And everyone has options on whats right and wrong. I did start this year at boons and It costs travel and vacation time but he is an amazing teacher. After this February I will have finished up year 1. I questioned the worth of classes until seeing the amazing trees we work on and being with boon. He is a great teacher and is not scripted the class goes to what trees you have and what you need to learn. I couldn't find the same education source on east coast. Good luck

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your not far from Jim Doyle, can't go wrong, walter is his friend and comes during the growing season, Jim is a great artist and probably underated.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can't see paying tons of money to sit thru any artist class, especially if your learning the basics of tree care, just my opinion

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about Matt Ouwinga. I think he is in Illinois. It seems that GO-OK is doing quite well with his study as well as Matt having a tree in Kokufu and some good connections with material and pots.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Is Illinois now considered on the East Coast?

(edit)
Now that I see you're in Pittsburg and okay about flying & not bringing your own trees, then Illinois doesn't seem so far. Sorry to put a negative bump in your thread. Good luck.

Last edited:

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Wow, awesome responses. This is precisely why I posed the question, already you guys have unearthed a few options I hadnt thought of or found through my searches. I like Jim and Nature's Way, I visited several times when I was at Penn State in State College, but I am pretty set on the Japanese aesthetic and process. As we all know, Walter is not of the same mindset.

John, Colin, and Suthin all seem like great choices, but I would definitely have to fly--which means I cant take my own trees. I am not sure if that is an issue or not with their schools. I still plan on contacting bill to see if I can setup a custom set of intensives. I actually planned on doing that with all the guys that were within a 3-4 hour drive. I hadnt even heard of Chase Rosade, and hes in my state! I am still a little surprised that there isnt an option in the DC area.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
What about Matt Ouwinga. I think he is in Illinois. It seems that GO-OK is doing quite well with his study as well as Matt having a tree in Kokufu and some good connections with material and pots.

Al, its certainly been in my mind. I wasnt sure if Matt offered those types of services, but if I am to consider New England and Maine, Chicago is definitely in the running! Same distance flight.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Patrick,

I suggest contacting your local club(s) and see who they are bringing in during the upcoming year. One or more of the folks discussed might be coming to your area and may have time available for private instruction in your own back yard.

In no particular order, Bill Valvanis, Bjorn Bjorholm, Suthin, Boon, Owen Reich and Colin Lewis would all be great options if available.

Regards,
Martin

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Is you local club totally without an experienced grower with bonsai talent? You might consider grafting yourself to someone local, and spending a LOT of time with him or her, helping with their trees, taking advice and working with them on YOUR trees, and absorbing their knowledge.

The best teachers often are NOT the "artists" with the big names! You can't really teach ART, but you can teach the technique, and how trees behave under different conditions.

The art part you have to find within yourself (and the tree).

If there's no one in your local club, that's pretty sad.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think saving airfare would be smart, especially since there are great teachers here. Colin Lewis, Owen Reich, Jim Doyle/Walter Pall, Chase Rosade.

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would any of the more experienced members be able endorse or refute my previous suggestion, Michael Pollock? He is a student of Ryan Niels and seems to have a very well intentioned interest in revitalizing quality bonsai education in the New York and Connecticut area. Not too far a drive from the OP's location.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Is you local club totally without an experienced grower with bonsai talent? You might consider grafting yourself to someone local, and spending a LOT of time with him or her, helping with their trees, taking advice and working with them on YOUR trees, and absorbing their knowledge.

The best teachers often are NOT the "artists" with the big names! You can't really teach ART, but you can teach the technique, and how trees behave under different conditions.

The art part you have to find within yourself (and the tree).

If there's no one in your local club, that's pretty sad.

I agree with everything you are saying. There is possibly one or two people in the club with the skill that I would like to achieve. Without sounding like a total a-hole, I would actually like to surpass their level. They are great hobbyists in every aspect, but I have always had the aspirations to be a hobbyist worthy of exhibiting trees. Hence, why I began to broaden my search. And I suppose I am not looking for the best "artist", I am looking for the best technician. My background is architecture, which was a rigorous design study for 5 years. I typically dont struggle much with finding the tree, or imagining what the final tree will look like. It is getting from point A to point B that I find I am weak. Part of that is because I only have 4 trees that are on that path, and part of it is because that is an aspect that I think doesnt translate well via books, forums, videos etc. I havent completely thrown out studying local, but having someone of that ability is only half the problem. I am not sure if they are willing to take on a passionate 25 year old that wants to spend a considerable amount of time working on trees. I find that is asking quite a bit of someone with a family etc.

I thank you for forcing me to clarify things a bit, because I do agree with you that attaching yourself to one person and spending a considerable amount of time with them is a great and affordable way to improve. The super stars of the art arent the only way to learn. Unfortunately, you need someone of some repute, and you need that person to be quite generous with their time. Finding a perosn with both of those characteristics can be the tricky part.

Top Bottom