East Coast Yamadori

Reaction score
index.php

Just finishing up cleaning out old leaves to let the sun in on new buds and my first wiring on this very large, very old Buttonwood. East Coast representing!

Reaction score
Next step I need to start considering is a pot... I will obviously need to have one custom made for the tree.
Was actually considering something that perhaps looked like waves coming up on shore around the base of the tree.

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're looking for a custom pot, check out Holvila Bonsai pots. He's from Sweden and one of my favorite bonsai potters. His stuff is really unique.

His prices are some of the best I've seen. I could post a picture or two if you're interested.

Great tree, by the way.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
index.php

Just finishing up cleaning out old leaves to let the sun in on new buds and my first wiring on this very large, very old Buttonwood. East Coast representing!

Spectacular buttonwood. Lucky you! Thanks for posting this beauty.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! This was a tree that a friend had that I had been eyeing for some time. .. and she brought it to our convention last may, and sadly i didn't really have the money to buy it... I was vending and she had a booth directly across from me, and the whole time I was just tormented by the fact that I didn't have the cash, and every time someone looked at it, I kept hoping they wouldn't buy it!

On the last day, I approached her and asked if she would let me make payments on it an she agreed! She told me she didn't know I was interested, or she would of said yes before...

Anyways, the tree is a collected tree. It was collected by Mary Madison, some time ago, before alot of restrictions were put in place to protect the wetlands here in the state... so, it is almost impossible to find any more of this caliber even available from those who collect nowadays.

My friend who I had gotten it from, had done some prior work to the tree. However, the very first thing I did after getting a hold of it was change the entire angle of the tree in the planting of it. Which required quite a bit of work, wiring the only two very large roots coming off of the only two live veins that fed the tree. These roots were then drastically bent repositioning them, to accommodate the new angle.

The tree was left to recover for the remainder of the year, until this past weekend, where I went through and wired the whole tree to fit the new direction I saw for the tree.

Reaction score
Plans for this year are to hopefully, get the apex of the tree going as well as the right side of the tree... I could just remove the right side and have a cascading tree only, but I saw a tree with more depth in the design...

So, the leader that is sticking up will eventually form another layer of foliage on top, tying the to sides together and adding a bit more height. I want the large Jin on the left hand side , up top to be coming more out of the side of the tree, and less on top as it is currently.

Oh, and there is the designing of the pot I need to do... and figure out who I want to do it for me... which will be a real pain in the but, cause I have Jins protruding out the bottom, 5 of them that all have to be worked out so they extend outside of the pot... I also have space between the current pot and the bottom of the tree on the right hand side , which needs to be filled in with a taller portion of a new pot in this section. So in essence the pot will have to be about 3 to 4 inches taller on the right side verses the left... this is why I thought of perhaps mimicking waves... so it would not look weird. Besides if done right I believe it could look really awesome, and match the environment the tree originates from.

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice work and a very interesting tree. Don't see many Buttonwood up here in the chilly northeast. Look forward to seeing it once you realize your vision in the future. Striking deadwood offset nicely by the bright green foliage. Good growing, sir.

Reaction score
Gotta post some pictures of this tree... really filling in, and development of the apex is definitely on it's way!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd check out MC2 pottery for this tree if you haven't already. They have some cool textures that I think match well with buttonwood bark.

Andrew

Reaction score
Looks massive!
When did you dig it?
It is 3 ft wide by over 2 ft tall...
This one I didn't collect, it was purchased from a friend. I have since done a lot of work to it!

Reaction score
I'd check out MC2 pottery for this tree if you haven't already. They have some cool textures that I think match well with buttonwood bark.

Andrew
Thanks, I have seen their pots and they are really awesome!
I am actually going to see about working with my friend, who I got the tree from, who makes bonsai pots , to make one...

I actually want to try and make a pot that resembles a wave, seeing that these are often found along our coast.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This keeps looking better every time I see it. The deadwood is so cool. Speaking of containers, this one its in has got to be pretty big now that you added the measurement of the tree. Where do you even get a pot that size?

Top Bottom