Eastern Hemlock (Canadian Hemlock) for Bonsai

ken66

Seedling
Reaction score
I saw an old thread about this....in fact, this is how I became a new member here. Im also new to Bonsai but have always been intrigued by them. Beautiful... I was up at my place in Maine and this little sapling was growing just outside my cabin. I thought it had an interesting shape. Looked like a little bonsai already. It was in a place that it would be stepped on so I dup up the frozen ground wide around it and took it home. I did some google searches and started getting info about these species. So, from what Ive read, they are difficult but can, if you get the right one be very nice Bonsai. Ive also seen threads saying don't bother. I have seen some Eastern Hemlock Bonsai that are absolutely stunning ( picture I saw below and a picture of mine same day I planted it). So, after planting, I put it back outside to continue with its dormancy period. I read 1000 hours should me enough. I will cover the base with straw/grass to protect from the extreme cold soon. in about 1.5 months, I will bring it in slowly then wire it to shape it. Maintain an acidic soil....in fact, I'll go back and get the same peat moss soil from that area for it.

Here is a picture of my little find,

1544403994623.png

Here is a beautiful eastern Hemlock Bonsai I saw online
1544404232435.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a couple that I have high hopes for, and I really enjoy the species’ habit. I think I would leave it outdoors though. They are quite hardy, so I wouldn’t risk bringing it inside. You can wire during the growing season.

ken66

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a couple that I have high hopes for, and I really enjoy the species’ habit. I think I would leave it outdoors though. They are quite hardy, so I wouldn’t risk bringing it inside. You can wire during the growing season.
Thanks for the input. How old are your bonsai? Im assuming these are slow growers. Im already thinking about how to cut back this one and how to wire it. I guess I got time to think about that till spring time. I live on the coast in Massachusetts. Winters are cold but colder in Maine. The only problem I see with this one in my area is too much sun and heat. July and Aug do get very warm here thought it may be better off indoors for those 2 months at 70 degrees vs 90.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t know how old mine are as one was collected (i’d Have to look at the thred to know when I collected.. 6years ago?)and one from nursery stock. They actually grow faster than you’d think given ample sun and fertilizer. They are shade tolerant, but that slows them way down. I wouldn’t worry about them getting too hot as long as they don’t dry out. I think a bad idea to bring indoors. It’s not humid enough. If they are naturalized to your area, they’ll do fine outside.

Top Bottom