Eastern hemlock top

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello all. This is my first post to any forum.
I've had this eastern hemlock about 20 years. For the last 15 years I didn't have a lot of time to play with my collection, so many of my trees got out of hand.
This hemlock, among other thing, needs its top to be shorter. The taper is a bit too straight, some of the branches up there are a bit chubby and it needs to go into a smaller pot (for my backs sake), as do most my trees. I have a couple of ideas, some may be stupid, so I'll put them out there and see what everyone has to say.
1. Cut a wedge out and pull branch up and fuse it for top. I have done this before successfully, although maybe not this much.
2. Bud graft a new top in.
3. Keep current top heavily pruned (it's extremely vigorous) and see if grows taper on it own.

Attachments

• _MG_0769.jpg
    _MG_0769.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 503
  • _MG_0772.jpg
    _MG_0772.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 427
  • _MG_0776.jpg
    _MG_0776.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 405

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Welcome ABCarve. This is a beautiful tree with great potential. How about chopping where I made the red line then wiring that branch/branches up for a new apex. It is tough to tell from the pics if my suggestion would work well.

Although the apex does need addressing. I think that a macro view should be taken in regards to styling this tree. If it were mine. I would probably go through the entire tree. Maybe shortening and tightening up the silhouette by putting more movement into the branches. Not necessarilly more downward movement, but maybe some meandering curves throughout each branch. This will shorten the branches and create a tighter image. Also, the interior of each pad looks like it could use some restructuring. I would start from the bottom with trimming and wire everything. especially in the interior of the pads. Then when you have a clearer image, see what you could do with the apex.

Good luck. It is a very nice tree.

Rob

Reactions: TGR

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm not sure where you drew the red line. Did you put an attachment somewhere I don't know about?
The tree was cut back about 6" just about everywhere last spring and guys put on. Guys were used because regular wiring grows in too fast. The branches would probably need wired for movement 2-3 time per season for two years to set. Their memory is much better than mine. Maybe pulling to and fro with guys would work. It has never been fine wired which I'll try to tackle this spring. I think the small branches won't grow in so fast.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s. something like this..

ATTACH=CONFIG]29999[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• _MG_0769[1].jpg
    _MG_0769[1].jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 385
  • _MG_0769[1].jpg
    _MG_0769[1].jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
lol.. sorry..forgot the red line pic.

Attachments

• _MG_0776[1].jpg
    _MG_0776[1].jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 336
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Awesome first post and welcome!

Hemlock don't grow in my area so in a horticultural sense I can't speak to what you should do.

Artistically the tree could be shortened to either of the two front branches. With a good wiring you could really shape this guy up and redirect some of that upward growth in the branches. The nebari is fantastic and from what I understand Hemlock is a slow growing tree :)

Depending on how you shape the new apex a smaller oval pot would look really nice. Can't wait to see some updates on this tree.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
p.s. something like this..

ATTACH=CONFIG]29999[/ATTACH]

Yep, That's solution #1. I will have to take a wedge out to bend it up. It's probably an inch thick at that point. The good part is they heal extrodinarily fast. Love your photoshop work. I'll try to live up to it.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Awesome first post and welcome!

Hemlock don't grow in my area so in a horticultural sense I can't speak to what you should do.

Artistically the tree could be shortened to either of the two front branches. With a good wiring you could really shape this guy up and redirect some of that upward growth in the branches. The nebari is fantastic and from what I understand Hemlock is a slow growing tree :)

Depending on how you shape the new apex a smaller oval pot would look really nice. Can't wait to see some updates on this tree.

Actually it's very fast growing. I have to pinch it almost daily with 3 flushes of growth. I stop about mid-September to give a break.

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
update

Eastern hemlock breaking bud before and after repot and styling. There are many, many guys. I did some spiral wiring, however, after mulling it around I knew I would be cutting it off in two months and redo because of growing in. I cut much of it off (not all)and replaced with guys so as to only have to move the point of attachment periodically. I think these guys will be on for a two year stint. The needles are getting very small and spiral around the stem as opposed to being flat and opposite each other.

Attachments

• _MG_0990.jpg
    _MG_0990.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 330
  • _MG_0769.jpg
    _MG_0769.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 306

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Eastern hemlock breaking bud before and after repot and styling. There are many, many guys. I did some spiral wiring, however, after mulling it around I knew I would be cutting it off in two months and redo because of growing in. I cut much of it off (not all)and replaced with guys so as to only have to move the point of attachment periodically. I think these guys will be on for a two year stint. The needles are getting very small and spiral around the stem as opposed to being flat and opposite each other.

Just wanted to confirm what others have said - this is a very special tree. There are not many examples of T. canadensis in bonsai and this one has great bones.

I would definitely aim for something like Octobers virtual. Glad to see it is doing well after the repot, although I am not a fan of that pot. It is a pretty formal tree, and that is a very informal pot.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have one I got last year, but they do bud back like crazy. Do you find it is as picky about root work as rumored??

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just wanted to confirm what others have said - this is a very special tree. There are not many examples of T. canadensis in bonsai and this one has great bones.

I would definitely aim for something like Octobers virtual. Glad to see it is doing well after the repot, although I am not a fan of that pot. It is a pretty formal tree, and that is a very informal pot.

I'm not sure it will tighten up enough to quite get to the virt but I'm enjoying it just the same. Glad to hear your opinion on the pot. I thought it was going unnoticed. It's my creation. I guess I'm getting tired of seeing the same pot designs over and over. It definitely is not a formal aesthetic.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have one I got last year, but they do bud back like crazy. Do you find it is as picky about root work as rumored??

It didn't seem to mind the root work, especially for as much that was removed to get into the much shallower pot.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update

1. Spring trim - April 2
2. Late snowfall - April 17
3. Breaking bad....I mean bud!! May 31

The shallow pot has turned this into a different animal. Seems the wiring sets quicker and doesn't grow in. I could probably take the guys off, but I'm afraid the branches may slowly creep back. I'm in no hurry. The crown is filling in quickly.

Attachments

• _MG_1446.jpg
    _MG_1446.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 314

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Close up of the Van Gogh pot

Attachments

• _MG_1518.jpg
    _MG_1518.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for posting the east coast tsuga; it is looking like great ramification you have. I collected mine a year ago, so I have been uber cautious about not over working it since it my only tree from the "wild". I was quite surprised to see some second or third flush growth today in the strong areas, but I have only done relatively minor branch selection so far. What sort of soil mix do you use?

Btw, I'll be in Erie PA for the forth this year. We are having a going away, family reunion thing for my cousin who is going to europe for post-doc work. Also btw, (great) lake sand makes a fantastic top dressing, although your lush moss seems to have it covered.

Thanks again,
David

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was rereading the thread to see if I could pick up any extra eastern hemlock care tips and thought I would check out your website. I really dig the pseudo organic nature of your carvings. Neat stuff.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also btw, (great) lake sand makes a fantastic top dressing, although your lush moss seems to have it covered.

Thanks again,
David

Actually, it's not lush moss. It's ground up long sphagnum. I use it for top dressing to help hold moisture on the surface for better root development. It turns green from algae growing on it.
Good luck with yours. They're my favorite woods tree.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What sort of soil mix do you use? Do you have any other care tips? I am debating repotting this spring to get it into a more appropriately sized pot and would appreciate any tips.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?15477-Tsuga-canadensis-collected&highlight=tsuga

I actually buy my soil from Hollow Creek Bonsai. My hemlock has his basic mix with 30% akadama. I put in some mixed pumices and some biochar charcoal. I think Fred uses a lot of haydite and milled bark in his mix, but I really don't know for sure.

I'm surprised that you've had a second and third flush of growth so early. I haven't even started cutting mine back yet. Probably in another week or so. Since the new growth seem to harden off at different times, I seem to be constantly pinching(cutting) it back as they ripen a little bit at a time. So it may seem like there are three flushes of growth but it's really hard to tell. I just know that they keep coming and I stop cutting at the beginning of September. Here's a pic from today.

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 289
Top Bottom