Eastern larch - progression

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this collected larch late winter in 2012. Looking through old pictures, it's weird I have never taken a fall picture and only one picture with leaves. I'll have to remember to take more pictures this year.

Here's right before I trimmed or wired it.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 102

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After trimming and wiring in 2012

Attachments

• eastern larch 1 2012-03-08.jpg
    eastern larch 1 2012-03-08.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 98

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In 2013, I moved it into a plastic bin from the Container Store. Leaves just coming out in spring. Trying to grow the lower branch on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_1719.PNG
    IMG_1719.PNG
    527.4 KB · Views: 95

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forgot to take a picture before I trimmed everything down last week, but here's the end result.

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 100

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trimmed it some more last night and wired some branches down again using silicone aquarium air tubes and wires.

I'm working on extending the lower left branch and replacing the lower right branch because it doesn't branch out until at the end. I was going to keep to crown pointy like real eastern larches, but I think I'm going grow the crown out so it's more rounded on the top.

Attachments

• IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 98

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice looking good
Maybe next time use aluminium wire and wire the branches to give them more movement larches are realy flexible and fun to style :D

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking good
Maybe next time use aluminium wire and wire the branches to give them more movement larches are realy flexible and fun to style :D

I wired all the branches on another collected eastern larch that's a lot younger. This one is really stiff, and I can't bend too much. Maybe I should get raffia?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm let it be for now and try again in januari next year
Raffia might work but i think with the buds its a bitch lol

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got some heavy wires and electrical tape. Finally put it in a bonsai pot. The front changed so I'll need to adjust some of the wires

Attachments

• IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 67

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be aware electrical tape sticks to rough bark you might have wanted to save and if wanting bigger trunk will need to get out of Bonsai pot for growing;).

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be aware electrical tape sticks to rough bark you might have wanted to save and if wanting bigger trunk will need to get out of Bonsai pot for growing;).
I turned the sticky side out. If anything the wires will be sticky when I have to remove them :D

Top Bottom