EASTERN LEAF

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
NEVER HAVE I EVER BEEN SO DISGUSTED BY THE MISREPRESENTATION OF A PRODUCT ONLINE THAN I AM WITH THIS COMPANY. I BOUGHT, I THOUGHT, A BLOOMING AZALEA BONSAI TO SEND TO MY SISTER WHO HAS BEEN HOSPITALIZED 2 TIMES FOR OVER A MONTH. THE PICTURE OF THE BONSAI ON THE SITE WAS LOVELY. WHAT SHE GOT WAS A WEED. NOT A SINGLE BLOOM AND LOOKED ABOUT AS MUCH LIKE A BONSAI AS A RAGWEED. I THINK THIS COMPANY DESERVES TO BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS.

Attachments

• WEED.jpg
    WEED.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 189
  • ADVERTISEDBONSAI.jpg
    ADVERTISEDBONSAI.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 189

dlquick

Seedling
Reaction score
NEVER HAVE I EVER BEEN SO DISGUSTED BY THE MISREPRESENTATION OF A PRODUCT ONLINE THAN I AM WITH THIS COMPANY. I BOUGHT, I THOUGHT, A BLOOMING AZALEA BONSAI TO SEND TO MY SISTER WHO HAS BEEN HOSPITALIZED 2 TIMES FOR OVER A MONTH. THE PICTURE OF THE BONSAI ON THE SITE WAS LOVELY. WHAT SHE GOT WAS A WEED. NOT A SINGLE BLOOM AND LOOKED ABOUT AS MUCH LIKE A BONSAI AS A RAGWEED. I THINK THIS COMPANY DESERVES TO BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS.
"This flowering bonsai produces blooms during the spring" & "Bonsai shape may vary from shown" is specifically stated in the description.
I'm sure with minimal pruning, a little wiring, and care outside, it can look exactly like the flowered image in early spring. Flowers do not last forever unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 38190

I mean, that "weed" still looks like a bonsai (a very young bonsai, probably 2-3 years old) but still, that looks nothing like in the picture. I understand why you bought this thing because the website says this has a 5-star rating, which probably isn't true by looking at your picture. Probably most of those reviews aren't verified. (BTW I just bought a Chinese elm from Amazon... Looking pretty healthy!) Have you tried out Brussel's bonsai? They are a pretty reliable bonsai seller on Amazon. That's where I got my Chinese elm.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I make no excuses for any of these companies that sell bonsai online. I never buy a bonsai online unless I am looking at a picture of the exact plant.
And I guess you didn't know enough about azaleas to know they are way passed blooming. There are a bunch of azaleas out now that re-bloom, but the picture is of a satsuki and they bloom in June and July for the most part. I am not defending these companies but it is kind of a buyer beware scenario. Next time get her flowers. Most people in bonsai agree that a bonsai as a gift is a horrible idea and just about all of them given as gifts die due to lack of knowledge about their care.
Sorry man, but it is always going to be this way and no amount of ranting will change it.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was a lovely intention -- and despite your disappointment, I'd like to think your sister took that at face value. It may even be that the small routines of caring for the azalea will be helpful to her recovery, and that the blossoms, when they come, will be all you hoped & more.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You got exactly what you paid for: an azalea bonsai.

It isn't the fault of the company that you failed to read and/or comprehend what "blooms during the spring" means and that it is no longer spring.

It is a blooming bonsai. It does not say it blooms year round

D

Deleted member 38190

WHAT SHE GOT WAS A WEED. NOT A SINGLE BLOOM AND LOOKED ABOUT AS MUCH LIKE A BONSAI AS A RAGWEED.
Oh, I never read this part. I've never personally had an azalea bonsai, but according to Google, "They flower from late March to mid-May" Looks like you didn't research before buying it. And the part saying it looks like a weed? Definition of weed: "A weed is a wild plant growing where it is not wanted." Looks like you're wrong on that too. (That actually looks like a 2-3-year-old bonsai, maybe not trained yet) Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's the truth.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My wife wanted an azalea, so I bought one for her from Eastern Leaf. For the price, you need to understand what you're getting and keep expectations in check. It is past blooming season now, but when they do they're pretty nice.

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
"This flowering bonsai produces blooms during the spring" & "Bonsai shape may vary from shown" is specifically stated in the description.
I'm sure with minimal pruning, a little wiring, and care outside, it can look exactly like the flowered image in early spring. Flowers do not last forever unfortunately.
WHEN ONE IS BUYING A PLANT/TREE WHICH IS PICTURESD AS BLOOMING, ONE EXPECTS THAT IT WILL BE BLOOMING WHEN IT ARRIVES, NOT AT SOME UNSPECIFIED DATE. THIS IS DECEPTIVE MARKETING. I DON'T CARE WHAT THE DISCLAIMER SAYS, IT DOESN'T SAY THE WEED WON'T BE BLOOMING. AZALEAS CAN BLOOM ANYTIME OF THE YEAR. I'VE HAD THEM. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU HANDLE THEM. WHEN ONE IS GIVING THEM TO AN AILING RELATIVE ONE SHOULDN'T HAV TO INCLUDE THE NOTE, "HOPE YOU LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE IT BLOOM!!!!!!!!!!

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh, I never read this part. I've never personally had an azalea bonsai, but according to Google, "They flower from late March to mid-May" Looks like you didn't research before buying it. And the part saying it looks like a weed? Definition of weed: "A weed is a wild plant growing where it is not wanted." Looks like you're wrong on that too. (That actually looks like a 2-3-year-old bonsai, maybe not trained yet) Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's the truth.
WHEN ONE IS BUYING A PLANT/TREE WHICH IS PICTURESD AS BLOOMING, ONE EXPECTS THAT IT WILL BE BLOOMING WHEN IT ARRIVES, NOT AT SOME UNSPECIFIED DATE. THIS IS DECEPTIVE MARKETING. I DON'T CARE WHAT THE DISCLAIMER SAYS, IT DOESN'T SAY THE WEED WON'T BE BLOOMING. AZALEAS CAN BLOOM ANYTIME OF THE YEAR. I'VE HAD THEM. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU HANDLE THEM. WHEN ONE IS GIVING THEM TO AN AILING RELATIVE ONE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO INCLUDE THE NOTE, "HOPE YOU LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE IT BLOOM!!!!!!!!!!

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
You got exactly what you paid for: an azalea bonsai.

It isn't the fault of the company that you failed to read and/or comprehend what "blooms during the spring" means and that it is no longer spring.

It is a blooming bonsai. It does not say it blooms year round
I DON'T KNOW WHAT GULLIBLE PLANET YOU COME FROM. WHEN A COMPANY POSTS A PICTURE OF A BEAUTIFUL BLOOMING PLANT THAT IS WHAT I EXPECT TO GET, OR IN THIS CASE MY AILING SISTER. AZALEAS CAN BLOOM ANY TIME OF THE YEAR WHEN THEY ARE INDOORS. I'VE HAD THEM FOR MANY YEARS. IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY RE DOING THEY CAN CERTAINLY MAKE THEM BLOOM IN A GREENHOUSE. AS FOR IT'S BEING A BONSAI, PHOOEY. IT'S WEED.

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
DOES THIS LOOK LIKE SOMETHING YOU'D LIKE TO SEND TO YOUR SISTER WHO WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A MONTH???? ONE PIC OF WHAT THEY ADVERTISE. THE OTHER IS THE WEED THEY SENT.

Attachments

• WEEDSM.jpg
    WEEDSM.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 59
  • ADVERTISEDBONSAI.jpg
    ADVERTISEDBONSAI.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 28

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
It was a lovely intention -- and despite your disappointment, I'd like to think your sister took that at face value. It may even be that the small routines of caring for the azalea will be helpful to her recovery, and that the blossoms, when they come, will be all you hoped & more.
REALLY? WOULD THAT WEED CHEER YOU UP? I THINK THEY ARE DISGUSTING. I'VE COMPLAINED TO THE BBB FOR FALSE ADVERTISING.

Attachments

• WEEDSM.jpg
    WEEDSM.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 18
  • ADVERTISEDBONSAI.jpg
    ADVERTISEDBONSAI.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 137

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry about your sister....but this is hilarious!
Bwahahahaa!
DOES THIS LOOK LIKE SOMETHING YOU'D LIKE TO SEND TO YOUR SISTER WHO WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A MONTH???? ONE PIC OF WHAT THEY ADVERTISE. THE OTHER IS THE WEED THEY SENT.
It does, yeah....if she's into bonsai maybe.
Azalea blooms last about a week in springtime.
Crappy way to learn.... but this lesson, you won't soon forget.

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
I make no excuses for any of these companies that sell bonsai online. I never buy a bonsai online unless I am looking at a picture of the exact plant.
And I guess you didn't know enough about azaleas to know they are way passed blooming. There are a bunch of azaleas out now that re-bloom, but the picture is of a satsuki and they bloom in June and July for the most part. I am not defending these companies but it is kind of a buyer beware scenario. Next time get her flowers. Most people in bonsai agree that a bonsai as a gift is a horrible idea and just about all of them given as gifts die due to lack of knowledge about their care.
Sorry man, but it is always going to be this way and no amount of ranting will change it.
WHAT? MAYBE OUTDOORS. I'VE HAD AZALEAS FOR YEARS IN THE HOUSE. THEY BLOOM ALMOST ANYTIME AND CERTAINLY FLOWER SHOPS HAVE THEM ALL THE TIME BLOOMING. THIS IS JUST DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING. I WAS SENDING THIS TO MY SISTER WHO LIVES 3000 MILES AWAY. I COULD HARDLY GO TO A NURSERY, PICK OUT ONE AND HAVE IT SHIPPED THERE. I DON'T THINK WE HAVE ANY BONSAI NURSERIES HERE. I DO HAVE TWO BONSAIS IN THE HOUSE. BOTH VERY PLEASING. NEITHER BLOOMS. WEREN'T SUPPOSED.

TERRYMARS

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry about your sister....but this is hilarious!
Bwahahahaa!

It does, yeah....if she's into bonsai maybe.
Azalea blooms last about a week in springtime.
Crappy way to learn.... but this lesson, you won't soon forget.
BALONEY. I'VE HAD AZALEAS OFF AND ON FOR YEARS AND THEY BLOOM ALMOST ANYTIME INDOORS. AND I CHECKED. OTHER PEOPLE GUARANTEE THAT THEIRS WILL BE BLOOMING WHEN THEY ARRIVE. https://www.proflowers.com/azaleas-aza

Top Bottom