Eastern red cedar

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found some old pics of my first one....

Not much to go off of and no repotting pics....

It seems though.....that I may not have let it grow enough roots again for the torture I put it through.

I haven't had a look at my current ones for 2 seasons...

But it kind of speaks to the benefits of colander growing......as I have hacked these worse than the other!

So either Adair is wrong about Junipers and colanders! Almost proved Adair wrong!

Or....

I am right...
These are not really Junipers!

I will have a go at mine in a week....

I will get all the info and pics I can!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is what I can tell you. When you first collect one, try to leave it in the soil and don't disturb the roots much. After the first year repot it as you would any other Juniper (half bare root). You can probably be more aggressive but if you want to pretty much guarantee survival take it a little easy. They are tougher than procumbens and such but why push them unless you just want to see what they can take.

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After seeing that pic I'd be okay with digging a straight one as well!

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Creativity counts eh!?

View attachment 135480

If one wasn't dead....
Could you tell these apart?

Dense.

View attachment 135481

Probly has to be pretty old to get good foliage though, I reckon.

Sorce
After looking at your first picture brings up another question I have. Why the variation in color with these. Some I see are dark green and then other ones are almost a burgundy color.

Has anyone noticed if fertilizing has changed the color of there tree at all is is there other factors in the color differences?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After looking at your first picture brings up another question I have. Why the variation in color with these. Some I see are dark green and then other ones are almost a burgundy color.

Has anyone noticed if fertilizing has chafed the color of there tree at all is is there other factors in the color differences?

Just winter...

Mine was electric blue!

Purple...

Bronze....

Beautiful!

Sorce

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On my hike last week all the ones I could see where purple "ish". Makes them easy to find in the tall dried out grass

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
jin21.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's a cool dude. He's in our club too.
I know two Vances and they both are great at Bonsai and in my club all at the same time!
A very very long time ago, I collected a wisteria for Vance Hanna. Don't know if he still has it...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are you waiting for?!

Lol!

I just didn't think I'd get a good response to....

If you can throw out the top 10ft I cut off, I'll dig the stump out.

Then again...

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've searched and searched for a photo of Vance Hanna's ERC. He had one of the finest I've seen, back in the 90's and now.

Here's the closest I could come. The tree immediately to his right on the bench is the cedar. It has mature foliage (not that loose crappy juvenile foliage), tight close branches and a very nice use of deadwood to liven up a telephone pole trunk...and yeah that's Kimura standing on the other side of it...
http://whoisbonsai.com/?p=48935
Are you sure it's not grafted?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the Eastern Red Cedar that is at the North Carolina Arboretum. Developed by and cared for by Arthur Jora. Don't see how anyone can say they can't be or shouldn't be attempted as a bonsai. This tree is superb.

Not denying that's a great tree. But it is a powerful exception that proves the rule. FWIW, Ask yourself how many "superb" ERC have you seen? I'll wait while you scour the web for photos...which aren't going to come up...Get back to me when you get more than six photos of different trees developed from collected ERC... ;-)

I always get this kind of reaction when I say this species is a waste of time. People still futzing around with bad, mostly unworkable material get their panties in a bunch about it...;-)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The job I'm on there plowing them down all over. Builder said I can dig up what ever I want.View attachment 135447 View attachment 135446

You have access to all that and you're just taking small ERC? Wow...just wow...;-) please tell me you're also going after something more worthwhile, like ANYTHING else...

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
N
You have access to all that and you're just taking small ERC? Wow...just wow...;-) please tell me you're also going after something more worthwhile, like ANYTHING else...
never said I was only looking for just erc, if I did please show me where. If I come across any elm, maple, hackberry or crabapple and it's worth digging it will be coming with me. But since I already have at least one if not a few of each of those and only dug one erc recently I'll be looking for a few more potential erc also.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
To
I was going to ask @jriddell88
I didn't remove much when I potted mine.

Hell I don't even remember!

Let's go check!

https://bonsainut.com/threads/j-virginia-crack-cuttings-repotted.19470/

Sorce

To be completely honest the ones I do have are all in native soil. I've yet to transition anything to boon mix , they grow so incredibly rapid here in their native soil I'm trying to get them as healthy as possible. They grow faster that any other conifer I have here , although I will be doing some experiments with ones I collect soon. Some I will remove alot of field soil, some maybe just rake out some roots , hbr, etc. We will see. Sorry can't be much of help right now. But like I said theyve grown extremely fast here in their existing soil so I didn't bother yet.

Top Bottom