Eastern Red Cedar

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I purchased this the other day locally for $8.00. It is about 20" tall, dirt to top of tree. Apex can easily be reduced. I did some trimming and will leave alone until next year. Very healthy and looks to have possibilities. Several questions: why do they label this and call this a cedar when it is a juniper? Do these make good bonsai or am I wasting my time? Can I expect to get growth on the lower part of the truck where there is none now? Thanks for the help. Peter

Attachments

• IMG_4856.JPG
    IMG_4856.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 164

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Look at the bright side: you only spent $8. I’d recommend getting rid of it before you introduce Cedar-Apple Rust in your yard.
They are trash as bonsai. There may be a few mediocre exceptions, but this will not likely become another.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Although you can experiment with them. New growth persistently grows toward the sky.

Attachments

• red cedar.jpg
    red cedar.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 130

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm afraid the image above would take a few too many lifetimes

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Search @vancehanna in the forum and you will see his magnificent ERC which is beautiful and won many awards including the MABA one at our local club. His Avatar pic is of that tree.

Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
OK, OK! I get it. Trash can tomorrow. I don't want that flame thrower to show up...or do I??

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
OK, OK! I get it. Trash can tomorrow. I don't want that flame thrower to show up...or do I??

Not so fast , Peter. Bend the heck out of it and make a cascade. It's a long shot, but I've had pretty decent results with ERC. Oh, it's not a Rocky Mountain Juniper, by any stretch, but you can at least make SOMETHING out of it. Maybe even consider a long, arching literati with an apex that dips down and then back up. I'll coin a new phrase here......Trash or Try.

This little ERC started out as 18" H x 18" W roadside find. It'll never win a show, but I like having it on my bench.
100_2228.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm afraid the image above would take a few too many lifetimes

I've seen these get that big in less than a dozen years. Reckon that's lifetimeable.

Amazing what that contrast does to represent age.

I may dig mine out for an update now.

Sorce

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the second one I have. Weird one, but part of my collection. Yes, they are rapid growers! A pioneer tree species that supports much wildlife in its natural environment. The figurine resembles me having coffee in the morning.

Attachments

• P1010142.JPG
    P1010142.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 59
Top Bottom