Eastern red cedar

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I dug this ERC, I think that's the correct name, it was going to meet a bull dozer soon enough so I just dug it up, the root ball was OK, much better than a lot of other stuff I dug up. It looks a little rough right now but its too early to see if its going to survive my collection attempt or not. Anyways my concern is that they're really no good for bonsai anyways. Seems like from the research I've done, after I dug it that the species just isn't suitable. I really don't want to keep it around if that's the case, Too many other things I want to harvest. I have a spot I could rebury it in the woods if need by. What's everyone's thoughts on that. I'm new to bonsai so I do need training stuff but if there's just no way I'd want to use the bench space for something else.

Attachments

• ERC.jpg
    ERC.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 67

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Up to you , usually ERC is way older before you can think about turning into bonsai … Id just plant this one in the yard, let it grow.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have pretty good success with ERC. Since you've dug it, I say give it a chance. If you can stand it, just feed and water it well this first year. Maybe, once it's really growing and has really bright green new foliage, you can prune it back a bit............maybe at mid summer. No, it's not one of the most sought after junipers, but it is a juniper and will give you some experience with the species.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
it is a juniper and will give you some experience with the species.
Hardly, because their responses to our training techniques are vastly different from the more popular bonsai juniper varieties.

ERC tend to backbud mainly from lignified branch crotches, leaving clouds of foliage out on tips branches, or back at the trunk. They retain juvenile foliage forever, are extremely apically dominant.

Branches have terrible memory, and will spring back after wiring for years, until they finally set, and then they die off in favor of some sucker growth back by the trunk.

Want to talk about disease? Cedar-Apple rust is nearly ubiquitous among ERC. So you’re introducing that to your yard too. If you like hawthorns, crabapples or quinces, you’ll have your hands full applying fungicides and chopping galls nearly all year long.

Been there, done that. Never going back. ERC taught me to hate junipers…until I tried again with a Shimpaku. If bench space is a premium, and you value your time, throw it as far away from your yard as you can get it.😂

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well, Brian, I guess you have to go with your experience. Mine has been completely different......except for the juvenile foliage, which doesn't really bother me. I had one bout with cedar-apple rust, which I successfully treated. Not saying it's amoung the best bonsai trees, but I have a few and enjoy working with them.

Top Bottom