Eastern Red will it be worth the effort?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am attaching a photo of an Eastern Red Cedar that I'm working on. I am asking you if it is going to look like it will be worth the effort?

Thanks Again,
KJ:cool:

Attachments

• E Red Cedar.jpg
    E Red Cedar.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 95

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They're a tough species to do well. Yours illustrates one of the problems -- grown in the open, they're arrow straight, and have just about as much taper as an arrow. Unless you can find one that has had some hard times in nature, I usually tell folks to pass, because there are many (almost all) junipers that are better for bonsai.

That said, your does have SOME taper, which is a plus. I kind of wish someone hadn't stripped away all the front branches, though. It's nice to see the trunk line (and a shari if present) but it also is nice to see the trunk THROUGH some branches -- especially up high.

You've got it, so you may as well keep at it. It could make a fairly decent formal upright. Pls keep us posted.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think this tree has potential, but I would personally want to carve the heck out of that trunk to create more interest. Don't cut off any more branches as I think you will need most of them, at least early on in the styling. Have fun with it.

JPhillips

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your chances of finding an Eastern Red Cedar that has any potential whatsoever is really slim. Im still looking for one here in Nebraska. Like jkl said, yours has better taper than most so you have that much of a head start. One thing I have heard is that it is very hard to get and retain mature foliage...
I'm not sure if I was any help but good luck with it!

Top Bottom