Eastern Redbud Cercis Canadensis

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just love these early flowering trees in the spring. First sign of life in the woods.

Had to have one this spring but had to buy a seedling. Been on the lookout for a collectable one.

I didn't know they had a fall surprise for me.

Love to see any members Redbud if you have one. Or even some tips for a newish guy.
IMG_20171009_112317710_TOP.jpg IMG_20171009_112352257_HDR.jpg

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I have to agree. They are a spectacular tree in bloom. But I have never seen a mature bonsai redbud. I don't know if that is because no one has tried it or there is something that prevents it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But I have never seen a mature bonsai redbud.

Lifespan of 50 - 75 years in the ground is probably the reason. I have tried a few small one's potted that just plain up and died after a few years... just my thoughts on it but there could be other factors as well - they are rather large leafed.

Grimmy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have seen some in DC that appear to be very old, they usually are multi trunked with hollow trunks and a real gnarly overall look...I love them.
If I ever came a cross a decent one, I'd take it...
I planted one in the front yard this spring. With no plans of ever moving it...

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I didn’t know about the life span. I did notice large leaf size. Something has been eating my leaves. If it dies I’m still learning from it. This is the first year in a pot.

Attachments

• 1FC6EEFF-95E1-43A0-B335-301028D2755E.jpeg
    1FC6EEFF-95E1-43A0-B335-301028D2755E.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 150

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I didn’t know about the life span. I did notice large leaf size. Something has been eating my leaves. If it dies I’m still learning from it. This is the first year in a pot.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are a roadside staple here in TN (do not like shade at all). I have pondered digging up one for bonsai as they often occur in ditches having been cut back year after year by the highway department. It does not appear that those leaves will get any smaller though unlike the common co-occuring hackberry in these places which can remain deceptively small hiding fat little trunks (been thinking of harvesting one of these too). On a good side note, I do know that the redbud flowers are edible, and add some nice flair to a salad, etc.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did get some leaf reduction on my planting, it was a multiple tree (12 or so) and was very root bound. But still no flowering.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Saw a landscape redbud blooming this morning too, weird... It was only on a low branch but still pretty abnormal.

@JudyB they usually bloom on two year old wood, maybe pruning had something to do with yours not flowering?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@TN_Jim
They're understory trees so they should love shade. At least in my area, full sun typically scorches the leaves and by this time of year they're usually looking pretty beat up.

Last edited:

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one in full all-day sun in my side yard and it devours the light and stays green; however, you are right, cbroad, it is classified as a shade tolerant tree. Yet, I wouldn't say they love shade here past a juvenile stage. I seldom if ever see a healthy one in a forest, but they are en masse at the edges.

I pulled this line out of a link (below) that is super informative for the sp. :
"Reaction to Competition- As redbuds grow and mature they become less shade tolerant. Old trees usually suffer from heart rot and cannot normally tolerate severe competition and shade. Redbud is most accurately classed as tolerant of shade."

https://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_2/cercis/canadensis.htm

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Saw a landscape redbud blooming this morning too, weird... It was only on a low branch but still pretty abnormal.

@JudyB they usually bloom on two year old wood, maybe pruning had something to do with yours not flowering?
Nope let it run...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems to be common, Owen has told me that he never saw one bloom in a pot either. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but it's not an easy thing apparently.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe it being constrained in a pot has something to do with it, possibly evolutionary, as if the plant doesn't sense setting seed would be beneficial in those conditions. Though on the flip side, one would think that kind of condition would stress the plant into setting seed as soon as possible to perpetuate it's genes... I don't know, but I like thinking about those kinds of problems and possible solutions...:oops:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems to be common, Owen has told me that he never saw one bloom in a pot either. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but it's not an easy thing apparently.

Was this kept in the shelter?

Maybe it needs more cold?

Sorce

Top Bottom