Eastern white pine bonsai, I've got it!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm pretty sure the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, NC has a descent EWP literati in their collection. Someone out there must have a picture of it. I've seen it personally and like it, though their are many better pine literatis out there.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm pretty sure the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, NC has a descent EWP literati in their collection. Someone out there must have a picture of it. I've seen it personally and like it, though their are many better pine literatis out there.
Yes, there is. It was styled by Walter Pall. It shows up in Google photo searches.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Osoyoung, I know that the western white pine is a little different. Unless you know that it is the eastern variety that may be why.
It is a funny thing. Here there are "no" western white pines, but all kinds of cultivars of p. strobus around here. They are very common landscape shrubs/trees. I'm not the best at dendrology, but all mine look to be strobus and were tagged to be p. strobus by Iseli or (IIRC) Monrovia.

You know: flies like a duck, quacks like a duck, ...

Mine readily pop fascicular buds (i.e., from the base of an existing needle fascicle) but they
no more pop epicormic buds than JWP, or hinoki do.
Maybe the difference is that @fourteener considers fascicular budding to be 'back budding' - I think back budding = epicormic budding.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you whack big bunks off of one to the point where it thinks it may die,it will push a bud or 2 out of the trunk. The needles will also be small. I have one I collected because it had short needles. 3/4 to 1 inch long. Now that it isn't on the verge of dieing they are getting long again.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not a hero at all! I just started bonsai. I guess I should've just written "white pine literati possibilities, need advice" that's all I meant. Really and truly, I just wanted to see if anyone had a literati EWP or wanted to join me in trying to make one.
Then why did you write this:???? care to join me/weigh in on my f*** you to everyone discounting this neat tree? Your words and the last time I knew f*** you didn't mean I love you you guys are wonderful.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Osoyoung, that's news to me. Guess your zone is just superior for flushes. Or maybe you've got the greenest thumb around

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Then why did you write this:???? care to join me/weigh in on my f*** you to everyone discounting this neat tree? Your words and the last time I knew f*** you didn't mean I love you you guys are wonderful.
I love (most) everyone on this site or i wouldn't be back pedaling so hard. It was just a simple playful F*** you to something I was told not to try. Like I said I should've worded it differently. I typed it very quickly before work after 3 cups of coffee in 90 minutes. Vance you inspired me greatly with all your mugo work. My mugo muse. I want to find something to pioneer and i got excited and manic. That's all, just overly excited about conifers. It's what I do.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Oh, Vance, you of all people should totally get where he's coming from. He obviously thinks of Eastern White Pine like you think of Mugo Pine, annoyed at the perception that nobody thinks it's a good species for bonsai. That's all. He wasn't actually tell any of us to go F ourselves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love you

Yeah, and don't forget GGB is the Mohawk wearing, priest slapping, Mugo pulling, pot smoking, surfer dude!

Ok. Not all that! But he is not a square!

I love it when I don't know what the fuck Vance says and it is still funny as shit!

Sorce

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep painting myself in a negative light! why?! I swear I'm just a timid bonsai nerd who loves a good ipa! friendliest guy you'll meet! don't surf though ..

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just wish EWP behaved well. They are by far the most abundant pine in my area.

If you want a native pine go for pitch pine. I've also been told that table mountain pines, Pinus pungens, can make fine bonsai but I have never seen one You are also on the northern edge of the natural range for Virginia pine.

Reactions: GGB

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't surf though

But you did slap the priest?

Don't mind Vance, I think he read that out of context.

At least you're not Jriddell!
Flamed!

Sorce

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No i didn't do that either, just trying to pick my battles carefully. And indeed, I'm not Jriddell

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have yet to get mine to back bud at all-but Mine is a double flush in my climate as well. Next year I'm gonna decandle like a black pine and see how it goes. I let it grow mostly uncheck this year to gain strength since I repotted it. I need to de-wire mine and maybe a light restyle this fall or next but should be interesting how it goes this next year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
GGB - I do get the playful comment about EWP, and told you why many of us bad mouth it. On the other hand, I still have a couple. All mine are still smooth looking young trees, with long needles and not much ramification. Lost my oldest one last spring. I love the look of a mature one in the wild. So I keep playing with them.

If someone figures out how to handle EWP in a way that will make nice bonsai, please document it and let us know. Vance figured out Mugo, maybe you'll be the guy for EWP.

Back Budding debate. Just as you have Yatsubusa varieties of JBP and JWP, there are many different cultivars of EWP. There are a few named ones that do pop epicormic buds. But I forget names, one of the named weeping EWP is famous for this, Not 'Pendula". It is also possible that one has picked up a chance seedling or plant that by happy accident is one of the atypical EWP that is able to back bud. I don't doubt it is happening. I just chalk it up to a unique combination of the plants genetics, the culture it receives and the climate it is in. In otherwords "RESULTS MAY VARY".

In my experience, they are single flush and do not normally back bud. (I had one back bud on 10 year old wood, but it died). They also are not predictable for me in activating needle buds. Sometimes it works, often enough to be cautious, it doesn't. But that is in my constellation of climate, culture and genetics of my stock.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I could be wrong, my wife and I were there this summer. We took pictures of every tree and I do not remember a Strobus,. If there was one there, that was any good as a bonsai, I am pretty sure we would have noticed it. My wife is pretty observant and helpful.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Oh, Vance, you of all people should totally get where he's coming from. He obviously thinks of Eastern White Pine like you think of Mugo Pine, annoyed at the perception that nobody thinks it's a good species for bonsai. That's all. He wasn't actually tell any of us to go F ourselves.
That's fine I hope that's the case and I wish him all of the success. As to the invectives; I know better than most how you have to be careful of what you say. Often a joke or a bit of batonage can turn out badly. I accept the explanation.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I could be wrong, my wife and I were there this summer. We took pictures of every tree and I do not remember a Strobus,. If there was one there, that was any good as a bonsai, I am pretty sure we would have noticed it. My wife is pretty observant and helpful.
They have many trees that are kept off display and are rotated through periodically. I've been to the arboretum more then a few times and I'm pretty sure I've seen one on display there.

Top Bottom