Eastern White Pine Varieties

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i am the Chicago Botanic Gardens waiting for the Midwest Bonsai Society meeting to start. I am in their dwarf pine collection and there are four varieties of EWP. I am wondering if any one has tried these as Bonsai?

Attachments

• IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 53

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a minima.
The normal needle size is pretty good, approaching that of the short needle JWP.
It is tough to wire without breaking off new shoots.

It is a multiple flush pine, but treating it like a JBP doesn't work out well. On the other hand, like all p. strobus, one can prune back new growth anytime after it has hardened until early the next spring and it will readily pop fascicular buds. Had I figured this out sooner, mine wouldn't have gotten away from my like it has.

I like the soft, airy foliage that p. strobus has, but it is a very challenging species for standard bonsai forms. One must think way outside the box to create an interesting image. Stay away if you want and easy (sane :confused:) bonsai. If you like to have humbling challenges around to control your ego, by all means get a p. strobus - 'minima' is a good variety. ;)

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info. I just need to see if I can find one.

May have to drive out to Rich's Foxwillow Nursery, he donated the trees in the dwarf conifer collection.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That 'Horsford' seems to have the shortest needles, I'd love try one of those.

Yes, Rich's Foxwillow Farm might have them, brace yourself, he has not started a lot of young stock, so most of his trees for sale are in 3 gallon or larger pots. Have been growing out a decade or more, and are priced accordingly. But do go, he is planning to retire very soon. Actually nursery is for sale, if you want to get into the business.

Top Bottom