Easy to find alternatives to Akadama?

Tntthunder

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
New to Bonsai and trying to come up with a good alternative to Akadama as it is expensive to get it here in my Nordic country. I have also heard it breaks down really fast in the cold weather.

I am currently growing conifers and have read that a 1:1:1 soil mix of Pumice, Lava Rock and Akadama is a good way to go, I just need something other than Akadama and something easy to find but I am unsure of what to look for.

Any suggestions?

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kitty litter made from moler clay is a good option. It's produced in Denmark so might be available where you are.

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Search for bonsai hygge on facebook, I think he was selling moller clay;

Unfortunetly for me the transport costs were too big.

He is from Denmark I think

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
In the Netherlands you can buy Linda Moler cat litter which is a Danish clay.
I use it in combination with Vulkastrat which is a blend of pumice, lava rock and zeolite.

Linda Moler

41427516_LIN040_DET4.jpg

Vulkastrat

550x733.jpg

JoBalz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was checking out both eBay and Etsy today for pumice and ran across sellers that also had Akadama for sale at good prices AND with free shipping. They also offered Bonsai soil mixes that contained akadama as well as pumice and volcanic rock. A good deal, particularly for newbies like me that don't need a lot of Bonsai soil mix (though I do grow Sansevierias which would grow quite well in Bonsai soil).

Top Bottom