Easy to tend trees?

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am basically new to bonsai. I have a few pre-bonsai that I have had a couple if months and I've taken excellent care of them and will probably shape at least one in spring. But on the 19th my local bonsai club is having an auction that will have tools, trees, pots, ect. I was told it is a good place to get trees and stuff. The club pres. said the most ever spent was like $130. So figured I could get some tools and maybe a bonsai or two. But what are some bonsai that are pretty easy to take care of and look nice. I like the trees that have small flowers or change color in fall. But I don't know if those are harder to keep well. What are some species you recommend and they don't have to be deciduous but I already have a juniper and ficus and would like something different. What is your guy's opinions? :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Azaleas are a good choice. Get ahold of Joe Day down there. Send me a PM if you need his contact info or you'll be in my area.

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, I met Joe he's pretty knowledgeable I don't know why I didn't think about talking to him. :eek: and the azaleas either, my mind must be crazy today. Thanks and I'll try and contact you if I go that way, I don't see myself going for a while but there's a lot of stuff I'd like to see there and i have distant family around there. Thanks a lot for your in put I have lots to learn :eek:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
just had to put one in for'yatsubusa' elm.The one below is only around twelve years and is actually pretty small for it's age,I think.They back-bud everywhere.Here is my growing season with one.In a 13" colander.It was also root pruned in the spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 37

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm new just like you so I have no real advice other than to watch Craiglist and try to find something for free....You have to be able to dig it up but with a little elbow grease you could have something fun to work with and within a year or so could fool your friends into thinking you have a real nice bonsai specimen...LOL Just don't try that with your fellow club members. I wish I had a club closer than I do.

Brian

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks :) I like that elm and I also get what your saying about digging some up and all of that (haven't thought about Craig's list though). I'm just going to an auction mostly for tools but I was going to get a bonsai or two as well :) thanks again

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just based on my limited experience, the easiest are: elms (almost any kind), boxwood, yaupon holly, juniper, trident maple, bald cypress, ficus nerifolia, olive, etc.

Ask around before the auction, people there may give you some input on each tree that appeals to you.

Good luck! :)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Greetings,

It appears that we are in the same club. I will be bringing some material to donate to the auction: a ficus neriflora forest, a winged elm, a bald cypress, a serissa "pink fairy" cascade style, and a few others that I am on the fence about. All of the above mentioned trees are easy to care for in our area. Yes, even the serissa, which seems to have a rather notorious reputation on most of the forums for being finicky. If you have any questions, I will be more that happy to share what I know. You can always ask Joe,Russell, or Lawarence, they are a fountain of knowledge.

John Lee

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You guys are giving me a lot of good suggestions and its pretty cool I found someone going to the same thing as me :) I am all excited for it to come now! Thanks and I will probably talk to one of those guys you mentioned. Thanks for all of y'alls advice :)

Top Bottom