Easy watering/ worry free vacation

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The wife and I just got back from a 7 day vacation in Santa Fe. Remarkable scenery, especially for a couple of South Louisiana flatlanders.

No worries because my trees were WELL watered for the entire time. All I did was lay down a 2x4's frame on my open sided carport and drape several thicknesses of plastic sheeting over it. No need to even nail the frame together. I then filled my impromptu pool with about 2" of water and laid my trees in it. Two inches works out about right. Some of the smaller, more sensitive trees get blocked up a little.

Over a week, the trees transpire moisture and the water itself evaporates some, so , by the end of a week, the water is considerably lower and has even fallen below the bottom of the juniper pots. I've found no negative results by doing this. It seemed like a couple of my oaks actually LOVED it.

I got to thinking, driving through the area south of Baton Rouge that was hit by major flooding last Aug. The water was as much as 8 FEET above historic floods. People's homes and yards stayed flooded for over two weeks. Driving through the area, I was struck by the fact that I could not see ANY dead trees or shrubs.

Now, I would not want to keep trees like this for 3 weeks or a month, but it seems to work well for my typical 7 day vacations.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did that once for four days.

Threw em in a bin with holes drilled right below the soil line...
That way if it rained the soil didn't get washed out!

Glad to hear you made it work for a week!
That's long!

I feel like an automated Hydro like fill and drain is the safest way to vacation!
More reliable than misters in the wind.
Full soak coverage.

Sorce

Top Bottom