Ebay bonsai sellers are thieves

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I find it hard to believe what people are selling as bonsai on ebay. Many of them look like they took a big box store tree for $20, did an initial styling on it, stuck it in a pretty pot, and are reselling it at $300 or more. That's criminal if you ask me. I find it hard to believe that anyone with even an iota of bonsai knowledge would pay such exorbitant prices for worthless pieces of crap that even I could do with my very limited experience.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's the internet for you. A tree is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. No need to get worked up over it :cool:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find it hard to believe what people are selling as bonsai on ebay. Many of them look like they took a big box store tree for $20, did an initial styling on it, stuck it in a pretty pot, and are reselling it at $300 or more. That's criminal if you ask me. I find it hard to believe that anyone with even an iota of bonsai knowledge would pay such exorbitant prices for worthless pieces of crap that even I could do with my very limited experience.

I like seeing an s-curve over and over again!!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There are decent sellers on ebay you just have to be careful.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just do a search on ebay for juniper bonsai, and see the garbage that people are selling. And I'm not talking about the typical mallsai, either (each one a clone of the next). I'm talking about the pieces that are sold as real pre-bonsai stock.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just do a search on ebay for juniper bonsai, and see the garbage that people are selling. And I'm not talking about the typical mallsai, either (each one a clone of the next). I'm talking about the pieces that are sold as real pre-bonsai stock.

Ficus are no different, like this guy. Literally bought from a big box store for maybe $30 at the most. Stuck some $30 wire on it and bam, $65.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree for the most part, but eBay is also a self-regulating market. No one is MAKING someone buy a tree for that price. I would argue that big box stores selling already dead junipers are more deceptive than most eBay sellers. Sellers like those will eventually be weeded out in favor of more sensibly priced stock.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are some good sellers on eBay with some nice trees. You won't get a great deal though. I know wigerts has sold on eBay along with some California guy with little JBPs for 100 a pop. But most of the ads are such garbage it makes me wonder why they list it. People really can't be buying this junk right? Where is the guy selling ficus or Fukien teas for thousands.

Edit here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exquisite-Artwork-Stone-and-Benjamin-Ficus-Bonsai-Tree-/160478580107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255d44cd8b

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The top price as of now is a JWP going for $67,ooo. It is a nice piece, but I'm talking more about the entry level to decent pre-bonsai that are sold for way more than what they are worth. It's difficult to find a true pre-bonsai that has been trained as such.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was bound to happen.

Only in the state of America today can an entreprenuer be considered a thief.

Bravo folks, we continue to sink to new lows.....

I got it!....price control...thats the answer....

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What part of NY are you in?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

After posting what I wrote...I went back and examined what "you" wrote. While your title suggests your disdain for the seller, as a thief, I feel you have more animosity towards those that are willing to pay 300.00 for a twenty dollar tree.

So in essence your post should be titled "Brilliant Ebay sellers laughing all the way to the bank".

Now I could "buy" in to that premise.

Reaction score
I really think the problem is that everyone here isn't really seeing the
"Creative Artistry" that goes into such great masterpieces as the
"Ebay Bonsai"...

I mean, it takes a vision to pluck almost all the foliage off of a juniper,
wire it with aluminum used to fasten chain-link fences, then to plant
it in one of the cool pots with the moat on one-side...
WHALA... A $300 DOLLAR BONSAI !!!!
:):):)

Last edited:

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Perhaps you are not the target market. No matter what you're buying you have to educate yourself first on value. You've done your homework. Good on you.

Same goes for when you're selling any object or service. You have to see what the market can bear. Shame on you (in the business sense) for leaving money on the table.

clic8991

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It was bound to happen.

Only in the state of America today can an entreprenuer be considered a thief.

Bravo folks, we continue to sink to new lows.....

I got it!....price control...thats the answer....

We all know how well basing an economy on the whims and purchases of the ignorant works. Still I am quite grateful to all those who did not take advantage of my ignorance. I wonder how something grows strong, and wise, and long-lived; I will study a tree. Perhaps one wishes bonsai to be a community, it is unlikely it is immune.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We all know how well basing an economy on the whims and purchases of the ignorant works. Still I am quite grateful to all those who did not take advantage of my ignorance. I wonder how something grows strong, and wise, and long-lived; I will study a tree. Perhaps one wishes bonsai to be a community, it is unlikely it is immune.

There's a Haiku in there somewhere, but I am having trouble finding the point with a 5-7-5.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
There's a Haiku in there somewhere, but I am having trouble finding the point with a 5-7-5.

Smoke,
"Need insurance, sign up quick here"
Is that your link or have you been hacked?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After posting what I wrote...I went back and examined what "you" wrote. While your title suggests your disdain for the seller, as a thief, I feel you have more animosity towards those that are willing to pay 300.00 for a twenty dollar tree.

So in essence your post should be titled "Brilliant Ebay sellers laughing all the way to the bank".

Now I could "buy" in to that premise.
Smoke, your flair for sarcasm is exceeded only by your bravado. Thanks for being a constant source of entertainment.

As for your misuse of the quotation marks, perhaps you are suggesting that I am not me? Or maybe I am you looking in the mirror?

In either case, as usual, you are a font of misinterpretation.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
In an attempt to turn this thread back to it's initial concern, I see this effort on Craig's list and other opportunities for those willing to take advantage to provide "bonsai" to the un-educated. This has gone against my grain, and after writing several sellers, I've come to the conclusion that many are just ignorant themselves.
I think that the opportunity to help educate the public as to what a real bonsai is, can be accomplished by the clubs.
having displays in different venues, with knowledgeable docenes is an excellent effort to begin turning the tide. But it has to be done knowing that we'll not be able to totally irradicate ignorance, because as P.T. Barnum was quoted as saying...There's one born every minute.
As a volunteer to docene, I've learned that many would be theives love to ask questions in public displays about the cost or value of the trees. I always field these questions carefully
saying something to the effect that they are valued by the owner depending on how long they are cared for or if they came from someone now deceased that was a special person in the club. The greatest disservice to the hobby is folks who have trees stolen reporting to the media unbelieveable dollar amounts as to their value. Hence creating more interest by would be thieves.

Top Bottom