eBay elm... Ehh

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
First off HELLO ALL! I haven't posted in a while but I have been lurking lol.
So I got this Chinese elm off eBay for $25. It obviously wasn't the one in the picture (which I expected) but one thing I didn't expect was for the branching to be so carelessly constructed. I want to just chop the whole thing to be honest and start over. They have no taper and have just been grown thick and chopped short. There are also 2 pairs of handle bars. I know those need to be fixed but as far as the rest of the tree. What do you guys think I should do?!
As always, thanks in advance.

Zacimage.jpgimage.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These grow so fast, why put up with a structure you don't like? I'd cut it back VERY hard (like take off a lot of upper branches) and see if you can get a dormant bud low to pop. Then you can see what you can chop it back to, and start yourself a nice little broom. I have a couple cute little C. elm brooms that I got the same way.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine I would whack it down to where I wanted it now. It will sprout profusely. No need for restraint.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I thinks that what I'll do. Just have to stare at it and find out where I want the chop to be. Appreciate you both!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think I'm going to get away from the "S" trunk all together and take your advice Judy.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
When you decide where you want the chop to be. Layer it off, and you will get a nice little broom AND an decent informal upright out of it potentially.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were mine, this is probably what I would do: airlayer the part above the red line on the "S" and chop the smaller branch where indicated.

Maybe even airlayer the trunk at the lower curve.

chinese elm chop.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Really, air layering a tree that does not have that much promise it not really worth the time and effort. Just my 2centavos. Take cuttings if you must...
Normally I am for airlayering but I bet you could get anything you chopped off this to root.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
A lot of good points made here. I value all your opinions and appreciate the input. I will provide and update when I decide what I'm going to do. Thanks !!!

Zac

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
image.jpg Well...I did it. It looks rather sad right now but since I chopped it (1 week) it has put out quite a few new buds. Looking forward to seeing what happens with it. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Zac

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not all I'm glad I did it. I like it better already lol
Thanks Mike
Zac

P.s my "yamadori" elm search has yet to produce positive results. I think they may have seen what I've done to this one and ran away:eek:...

Top Bottom