Ebihara Board Technique and Drainage

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
The North-East of France isn't exactly known to be dry..

When I read this I thought you were going to talk about champagne! 🤣

I am in Halifax, Nova Scotia, another region famous for its bubbles (Lightfoot and Grand Pre are exceptional) and, also like North East France, its rainfall! Its rains almost every day in Halifax, at least it feels that way.

I have to agree with you @meushi I have about 40 Japanese maple on boards and:
  • the ones on plywood are doing very well after 2 summers
  • The ones I put I put on untreated cedar are also doing well
  • A few that I put on solid wood (a mix of 3-4 unknown varieties) developed mold (spongy white/blue), which did no harm to the trees though
  • The 2 that I put on 'Russian ply' (baltic birch ply) are doing the best, but this material is not cost effective
  • I also tried tile - I don't like it and will not reuse it. Root growth was visibly less than it was on wood options (did the tile stay cool? I don't know), and it was harder to organize the roots.
They all receive the same water, light, fertilization, etc.

Moving forward, cedar would be my first choice, if I can find it in the appropriate size. My second choice would be plywood. I might choose a thicker plywood if possible

While we're on the topic, on a recent Bonsai Wire podcast episode they mentioned Ebihara growing trees directly on asphalt/pavement, with a perimeter fence to retain substrate. This is a very attractive idea to me, and I hope to be able to try it or something similar

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I read this I thought you were going to talk about champagne! 🤣
Well, those vineyards are just a 1h drive from my garden... there were vineyards all around me, but they've been gone for a long time. It's more cereal-y than grape-y now, and there's also a lot of hops :)

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Are you referring to the expanded PVC sheets? Those should work good and the sheet is not expensive at all and very easy to cut.

Here is the link for what I use

Top Bottom