Ebihara maples

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the recent Bonsai Mirai video on Japanese Maples, Peter Warren was discussing Ebihara. He said that some of his trees would take two days to repot. He would spend the time individually placing every single root into position. He would constantly be spraying the roots or covering them with wet towels so they don't dry out. That attention to detail really shows why he could take a seedling to a famous show tree in 17 years.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the recent Bonsai Mirai video on Japanese Maples, Peter Warren was discussing Ebihara. He said that some of his trees would take two days to repot. He would spend the time individually placing every single root into position. He would constantly be spraying the roots or covering them with wet towels so they don't dry out. That attention to detail really shows why he could take a seedling to a famous show tree in 17 years.
That beg the question. How many trees does he has and does he do has a full time job?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That beg the question. How many trees does he has and does he do has a full time job?

My understanding was that he was originally an engineer and left his job to do bonsai full time. He supported himself by selling a couple of his trees each year. He had many and all of his trees were grown in pots - nothing in the ground.

S

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My understanding was that he was originally an engineer and left his job to do bonsai full time. He supported himself by selling a couple of his trees each year. He had many and all of his trees were grown in pots - nothing in the ground.

S
Thanks Scott.
He sounded like me but without the two little demanding kids and a full time job. I have plenty of trees in pot. I only wish to have 1 day to myself in a week. Doesn't look like that going to happen for maybe another 5 years.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Finally, the entire board is wired to the Anderson flat. Put a thick drainage layer beneath the board. Fill in soil on top of the board and roots until the nails are covered and you're ready for spring! Easy peasy.

View attachment 68546View attachment 68547

The idea behind the technique is that over time, the roots near the nebari will slowly fuse causing that melting base that Ebihara is famous for. Looking forward to seeing how it works for me.

Scott
Have you seen Carlos Tramujas' YouTube video at his Bonsai do Campo nursery in Brazil. Looks like a large operation of field grown trident maples using this technique. The only difference I see is some sort of sealer placed on the bottom of the tree. I was thinking this might help prevent fungus infection from entering the tree. I'm just trying to improve my chances. I had a Jm I used this method with that did not survive. It was placed back in the ground after being screwed on the board. What kind of sealer would you consider?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have you seen Carlos Tramujas' YouTube video at his Bonsai do Campo nursery in Brazil. Looks like a large operation of field grown trident maples using this technique. The only difference I see is some sort of sealer placed on the bottom of the tree. I was thinking this might help prevent fungus infection from entering the tree. I'm just trying to improve my chances. I had a Jm I used this method with that did not survive. It was placed back in the ground after being screwed on the board. What kind of sealer would you consider?

Hi. Sorry, but i can’t help on this one. I’ve never sealed cuts, even large ones, on roots before.

S

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Tramujas is using a cut paste on the bottom of the tree before screwing it on the board and placing it in the ground again! His nursery is gigantic.. Im planning to go there and see it.. its about 70km from my home
If I ever do, I'll share some pics
If you go over there, please do share the pictures. It's too far away from me..

Reaction score
On large root cuts and airlayer i'm advised to use the liquid toothpaste style sealer. It should prevent rot and fungus.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wonder if they ship to the US. Would you still drill a hole and screw the tree? I'm tempted, it looks like it would be easier.

Top Bottom