Ebihara maples

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Ebihara maples pushing spring growth.

View attachment 183155

Hi Scot.

I wonder if you can help me with a query about your maple feeding regime? Apologies if this has already been asked and answered ....

I can see on this picture that you have a few "feed bags" scattered around on the surface soil and further back in the thread, you have pictures of pvc pipe filled with feed. What do you have in these? Is it rape seed cake? Or Naruko? Or something similar? How do you know how much feed to put down? Is it based on tree size? Or pot size? How do you know if you are underfeeding? Or overfeeding? Do you use any other feeds at the same time like fish emulsion or seaweed?

Many thanks,

Andy

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scot.

I wonder if you can help me with a query about your maple feeding regime? Apologies if this has already been asked and answered ....

I can see on this picture that you have a few "feed bags" scattered around on the surface soil and further back in the thread, you have pictures of pvc pipe filled with feed. What do you have in these? Is it rape seed cake? Or Naruko? Or something similar? How do you know how much feed to put down? Is it based on tree size? Or pot size? How do you know if you are underfeeding? Or overfeeding? Do you use any other feeds at the same time like fish emulsion or seaweed?

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy. This season I bagged my fertilizer in teabags rather than the little pvc cups. With the cups, fertilizer worked it’s way into the soil, so I was trying to limit that with the teabags. I use Microlife in the bags. It’s a good quality organic fertilizer made locally.

I also feed with liquid fertilizer. I alternate between fish emulsion, liquid Microlife and Medina Hosta Grow. Most seasons I feed weekly, but this season I switched to a siphon irrigation system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XRYFKI?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

I love it so far. I have it connected to my automatic watering system which comes on every day. It dilutes it automatically by a dial on the top. I have it set for a low concentration dose with every watering.

In terms of how to know how much, my starting point was the advice of others and then I adjusted based on the performance of the plants. Not very scientific, but I like the low dose daily method so far. The growth this year has been excellent.

S

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Andy. This season I bagged my fertilizer in teabags rather than the little pvc cups. With the cups, fertilizer worked it’s way into the soil, so I was trying to limit that with the teabags. I use Microlife in the bags. It’s a good quality organic fertilizer made locally.

I also feed with liquid fertilizer. I alternate between fish emulsion, liquid Microlife and Medina Hosta Grow. Most seasons I feed weekly, but this season I switched to a siphon irrigation system.

I love it so far. I have it connected to my automatic watering system which comes on every day. It dilutes it automatically by a dial on the top. I have it set for a low concentration dose with every watering.

In terms of how to know how much, my starting point was the advice of others and then I adjusted based on the performance of the plants. Not very scientific, but I like the low dose daily method so far. The growth this year has been excellent.

S
Let me know how the auto watering system w/ ferts added works out. I was told not to because salts would eventually plug my mister heads.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

S
So interesting. I was going to have a rep for Microlife see you.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you please share details of your automatic watering setup.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great idea. What kind of emitters do you use and how do you distribute them? Thanks for the response.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, got the answer from the link. New question, how do you like the spray heads etc.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great idea. What kind of emitters do you use and how do you distribute them? Thanks for the response.

Sorry, got the answer from the link. New question, how do you like the spray heads etc.

The emitters just go into the pot along the side. I put anywhere from 1 to 4 per pot depending on the pot size. Watch out for areas shadowed by the trunk. For shohin trees, I just drill a hole in the bench like this.
312A9B27-3F23-4C70-BEC2-8E7BEB28EC71.jpeg

Emitters are ok. I like the ability to individually turn them on or off. But put more per pot then you think you need and inspect regularly. Sometimes they inexplicably stop working, especially after a period of non use. Mostly they’re inexpensive and easily available at the local box store. So when I need one, I can drive out and get it immediately.

S

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I noticed a lot of my emitters weren’t working last year , took them off and blew them out , little black bugs had gotten into them and clogged them , so now I check them often , but I usually still hand water , just use hem in the heat of the summer when I’m gone all day

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I noticed a lot of my emitters weren’t working last year , took them off and blew them out , little black bugs had gotten into them and clogged them , so now I check them often , but I usually still hand water , just use hem in the heat of the summer when I’m gone all day

In the heat of the summer here in Houston, a watering system is more or less required if you’re working.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Top Bottom