Ebihara nebari musings

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I have officially hired a professional translator and bonsai professional in Japan to translate the 11-page Kinbon article (May 2001). I am surprised that this had not been done yet.

When discussing Ebihara's nebari-development method people tend to focus on technique and procedure with--it seems to me--very different understandings of what his objectives were. I am hoping the article will shed some light on Mr. Ebihara's objectives, in addition to providing biographical information and new insights about his techniques.

I am looking into publication permissions and publication outlets (I don't have either at the moment!). At the very least, I'll summarize the article here in my own words.

Latest update:

Bonsai Focus owns the "exclusive worldwide copyrights of Kinbon magazine", as they put it.

In order for me to be allowed to share this article, they are asking for €150 per page. This would only give me permission to casually share the article. They explicitly noted that this would not give me permission to have the article published elsewhere. They have no interest in publishing the article themselves (I offered the translation to them).

It's hard to gauge how much interest there really is in this article. One idea that came to mind is starting something like a GoFundMe campaign where anybody who donates $X will be a sent a copy of the PDF if we meet the funding objective. Of course, once the article is released in the wild it can be freely shared among friends and colleagues, so it's hard to say how many people would be willing to throw 10, 15, or 20 bucks at this to help raise the funds to gain this permission.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In order for me to be allowed to share this article, they are asking for €150 per page. This would only give me permission to casually share the article. They explicitly noted that this would not give me permission to have the article published elsewhere. They have no interest in publishing the article themselves (I offered the translation to them).
sorry, but this is just stupid.
Them making money on the right of an article, which they do not intent to publish themselves?It is similar to domain name hijacking; should be a ban on this. Yuck.

The 150.. Is that per original page, or translated transscript?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the very least, I'll summarize the article here in my own words
I think this would be great. Maybe summarize in 10 pages or so :)

(in the end, the interest is in knowing why it was developed, and the details about the process. I think that in 11 pages, there is a lot of fluff

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
sorry, but this is just stupid.
Them making money on the right of an article, which they do not intent to publish themselves?It is similar to domain name hijacking; should be a ban on this. Yuck.

The 150.. Is that per original page, or translated transscript?

It was definitely hard to write that post without giving my opinion!

I understand that they paid to own those rights, so I respect that there is some monetary value that can be assigned to a given article. That's the world we live in, and whether that needs to change is a separate and ongoing conversation whose course won't be altered by our little bonsai article 🤣 . But the process by which the value of an individual page or article is calculated is of course complex. The calculation was not revealed to me, but from what I understand giving an individual permission to share an article 'casually', as it were, is not part of their ordinary business model.

edit: the price is per page of the original Kinbon article LOL

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Latest update:

Bonsai Focus owns the "exclusive worldwide copyrights of Kinbon magazine", as they put it.

It's hard to gauge how much interest there really is in this article. One idea that came to mind is starting something like a GoFundMe campaign where anybody who donates $X will be a sent a copy of the PDF if we meet the funding objective. Of course, once the article is released in the wild it can be freely shared among friends and colleagues, so it's hard to say how many people would be willing to throw 10, 15, or 20 bucks at this to help raise the funds to gain this permission.
And people wonder why its hard to spread the hobby further.

That's a joke. Hope it doesn't stunt your motivation and interest in trying to spread information about the hobby.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was definitely hard to write that post without giving my opinion!

I understand that they paid to own those rights, so I respect that there is some monetary value that can be assigned to a given article. That's the world we live in, and whether that needs to change is a separate and ongoing conversation whose course won't be altered by our little bonsai article 🤣 . But the process by which the value of an individual page or article is calculated is of course complex. The calculation was not revealed to me, but from what I understand giving an individual permission to share an article 'casually', as it were, is not part of their ordinary business model.

edit: the price is per page of the original Kinbon article LOL
You might want to contact @Wm. N. Valavanis, at International Bonsai. He has republished translations of Japanese Magazine articles for decades. I’m sure he has experience with the procedures required to make it happen.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
You might want to contact @Wm. N. Valavanis, at International Bonsai. He has republished translations of Japanese Magazine articles for decades. I’m sure he has experience with the procedures required to make it happen.

Thanks Adair!

I spoke with Mr. Valavanis. Unfortunately, Bonsai Focus owns the rights to Kinbon in all languages except Chinese and Japanese. There's no way around that.

There is also no sum of money that Bonsai Focus is willing to accept in exchange for permission to reprint anything from Kinbon into any other commercial outlet, which includes magazines, websites, and even blogs or youtube channels...

The chief editor's email address is not private information and is easy to find online, so i suppose there is no harm in sharing it here in case anybody feels like they might be able to change his mind with a plea, or with gentle and kinds words of persuasion: editor@bonsaifocus.com

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can imagine! I am also happy I managed to keep my opinions on it to myself :)
I didn't :).

I don't usually reply to this stuff. Its for better people than myself to comment on but I do like to share my opinion from time to time :p.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i think the roots are pretty realistic to how Beech roots would look in the wild.
could it be more 'perfect' as in cut back in places, sure why not. impressive none the less.
This is a perfect example of different artistic tastes in bonsai. The beech nebari is much more realistic, naturalistic, whereas the others are more dramatic, 'perfect'. I dont see ebihara style nebari on trees in NC, I see the beech style.

I think for one thing, people need to start taking note of the unique characteristics each tree presents, and should strive to enhance these qualities instead of forcing an idealized 'cookie cutter' approach to their bonsai. Sure, everyone wants an ebihari style bonsai on their bench- but not every tree on your bench should be constrained to this style.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a perfect example of different artistic tastes in bonsai. The beech nebari is much more realistic, naturalistic, whereas the others are more dramatic, 'perfect'. I dont see ebihara style nebari on trees in NC, I see the beech style.

I think for one thing, people need to start taking note of the unique characteristics each tree presents, and should strive to enhance these qualities instead of forcing an idealized 'cookie cutter' approach to their bonsai. Sure, everyone wants an ebihari style bonsai on their bench- but not every tree on your bench should be constrained to this style.
Joe, I think the complaint was NOT that the roots were not grown into the “dinner plate” style, it’s just that they were long, taperless, and “leggy”. Yes, they are radial, but there are no (or few) secondary roots coming off the primary roots. It looks like he started with long skinny roots, and splayed them out on a board. But never cut them back. Good rootage is developed in the same way as branches: grow out, and cut back. I see no evidence of cutting back.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe, I think the complaint was NOT that the roots were not grown into the “dinner plate” style, it’s just that they were long, taperless, and “leggy”. Yes, they are radial, but there are no (or few) secondary roots coming off the primary roots. It looks like he started with long skinny roots, and splayed them out on a board. But never cut them back. Good rootage is developed in the same way as branches: grow out, and cut back. I see no evidence of cutting back.
Right, and I agree with your analysis. When I refer to the ebihara style I mean exactly that- even, radial roots ramifying as the roots progress to the soil like we do for branches. Point was, the majority of trees around most of the continental US do not display visible roots like the ebihara style. So if an artist were to make the conscious choice to NOT grow the symmetric, radial nebari that most of us strive for, they are simply creating a much different feeling and perspective. Both can be exceptional, but the latter is much more difficult to create tastefully.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Ebihara’s method/s are covered or at least referred to in some detail in Meriggioli’s maple book, not sure if there’s any difference between that info and what’s in the 11 Kinbon pages though as I’m unable to compare them :/

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And well, Did it work?
Good question. I just noticed how long ago this was. I did not really work this rootball I think since last posting. Too many projects and I forget to keep track of them every once in a while. I will repot this season and hope I did not pull it off the board in a repot frenzy last year. I may have.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And well, Did it work?
Found it..
I did a video (of course, I should have known). Anyhoe.. THe video is out for a bit, you might have seen it.
I DID create a very flat condensed rootball. Whether the sorting brought much.. I did not remove enough roots during the repot to be certain.

9 minutes in:

1710012498334.png

Top Bottom