Ecto-mycorrhizae

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
I would like to inoculate some jbp. Does ayone have a good source for this product? Thanks

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Fish emulsion weekly in a fast draining soil (lava) and patience. It will appear. I have had better luck this way than to add the powder. The issues with the powder is you need to make sure the powder comes in contact with the roots to have a chance for it to develop and unless you want to bare root and dust them down you are really wasting he product.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and reading. Would love to get my hands on Ectovit but seems to be European.

Attachments

• mycorrhiza_03.jpg
    mycorrhiza_03.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you have one JBP with good mychorhiza you can inoculate the rest with that tree. You can remove a bit of the fungus from the outside of the root ball and place it in the pots of the trees that are in need of it. You can water first with good Mic. by submersion and follow up with the rest of the trees in need using the same water, this does work.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
inoculate source

Very good. As it turns out I do have one jbp with a good colony. Thank you!
What's up with this? Colin Lewis believes myco will not survive for long in well-drained conditions? If readily avaible nutrients tree has little need for myco?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very good. As it turns out I do have one jbp with a good colony. Thank you!
What's up with this? Colin Lewis believes myco will not survive for long in well-drained conditions? If readily avaible nutrients tree has little need for myco?

That is his opinion. I do not know upon what he basses his conclusion but I can tell you that I get huge colonies of the stuff in my Pines grown in a free draining mixture in one of my training planters. You can actually see the stuff peeking through the screens on the sides.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
For once in my life I want fungus. Now I am sitting here with a bunch of toll free numbers trying to find spores and deep reading about extracellular polysaccharides. Bonsai is fun.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
That is his opinion. I do not know upon what he basses his conclusion but I can tell you that I get huge colonies of the stuff in my Pines grown in a free draining mixture in one of my training planters. You can actually see the stuff peeking through the screens on the sides.

Vance, what does your soil consist of, any organics ?
Harry

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, what does your soil consist of, any organics ?
Harry

Equal parts by volume: Composted Pine bark, Red Lava gravel, or Turface, and #2 Swimming Pool Filter sand or #2 sand blasting sand. This is my basic mix I double up on the Pine bark for Maples and other deciduous trees.

Reaction score
The best place for mycorrhizae

Hey KK,

If you're looking for the best place to order mycorrhizae this is it. These are the guys that supply the hydroponic stores and fertilizer manufacturers. I use the water soluble version that has both ecto and endo mycorrhizae.

http://www.mycorrhizae.com/

Juniperus Californica

Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Dude!

Yo, can I call you JC.....I spent halph a day yesterday to find the info you just gave me. Thanks! Have a contact sales person here in Florida. She wants to sell me endo-ecto granular....what do you think? I'm going to try this on everything from pines to ficus so I need both endo and ecto together correct?

Reaction score
Soluble is King

Hey KK,

Order and use the water soluble Mycorrhizae, it's the way to go. It gets into the soil down to the roots immediately and you can innoculate every couple of weeks until the fungus takes hold. I swear by it for my BP's. I have heard people say that BP's don't need mycorrhizae if you properly fertilize.

However, I've sent many a BP to the great bonsai garden in the sky and this is what I do:

1) Use very fast draining soil (volcanic scoria 30%, DG 30%, Akadama 30%) NO ORGANIC MATTER!
2) Use Organic Fertilizer regularly. Under fertilizing is as detrimental as over fertilizing
3) Maximum sun light. They should get sun all day, 50% shade cloth is OK.
4) Innoculate with mycorrhizae to get them started
5) Candle prune and needle pluck as recommended for your area
6) Do not use black plastic pots because they can scorch the roots when it gets hot!

Good luck grasshopper!

JC

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I talked to a friend yesterday on a road trip, so we hade a long discussion about riza, he has a degree in agriculture. This is what I came away with out of our discussion. Bottom line is, if your tree is alive, it is already inoculated with riza. A tree cannot live without it. The roots cannot take in water or nutrients on it's own without riza. My advice would be when you repot and your tree that has a good colony of the stuff, leave a couple of long roots alone when you trim the rest of the roots and just coil the long roots back under the trimmed roots, if you are worried about riza. Obsessing over tree care can cause a lot of stress to you and the more you screw with your tree, the more stress you cause it. There is NO ONE WAY to maintain bonsai. Some are going to live and some are going to die, good luck and I have an Indian potion that will cure everthing from toenail fungus to bad breath and grow hair for only $19.95 a bottle, call BR 549, shipping included.

Harry

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
I am almost there with the bp's but I still have a sudden death syndrome problem and its got to do with something in the soilless. Moisture is good, food is good, soilless is great but they don't want to root and it's ticking me off. The two healthy trees I have are in boxes with screen bottoms. The others in pots now. I did fine with the baskets but they rooted through the bottoms so fast it took them out....mistake. I have messed with them too much but want to try this riza thing to see if I can make these little monsters grow.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Go for it, and let us know your results.

Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Colin seels the stuff too at his Bonsia Ideals site, he has a whopper of an article on it too, it takes a bit to read and reread but it it VERY in depth. Link - http://www.bonsaideals.com/home.php?xid=eceb747652fd2d782dd5b83f0941302d

Kong any chance you are using Superthrive on your JBPs, if you are stop and see what happens, bet they live and root, otherwise maybe too wet.

Top Bottom