Edgeworthia ( Japanese paper tree )

Edna

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone grow these ? First picture is how they grow in my garden. The second picture I found online. I had wondered if I could grow it as a bonsai so I guess I can :)

Attachments

• 000_0857.JPG
    000_0857.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20pcs-bag-edgeworthia-chrysantha-seeds-potted-seed-flower-seed-variety-complete-the-budding-ra...jpg
    20pcs-bag-edgeworthia-chrysantha-seeds-potted-seed-flower-seed-variety-complete-the-budding-ra...jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 38

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have not tried to grow an Edgeworthia.i don't think they are hardy in my area. The tree in your yard seems to have no fine branching, I would call it a coarse branch pattern. For Bonsai you want the ability to have fine branches, so you can make pads of foliage. If you did try to "bonsai" this species, chances are fair that you would end up with a tree that only looked good while in bloom, rest of year it would look like a shrub in a tub. That is my guess.

You can always try, but if you like it in the garden, I suggest leaving it in the garden.

Edna

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought the second photo was really unique , the way they twisted the branches.
Yes, you are correct, no fine branches, it would require constant cuttings and wiring to give it shape.
Thanks so much for your input, that's what I was looking for.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I thought the second photo was really unique , the way they twisted the branches.
Yes, you are correct, no fine branches, it would require constant cuttings and wiring to give it shape.
Thanks so much for your input, that's what I was looking for.

Like with Japanese or Chinese wisteria, you never see them displayed fully leafed out. You only see them shown in bloom, with fairly sparse bare branches, and the cascading flowers. Once Wisteria are in leaf they are a tangled coarse mess. In autumn or winter, 80 to 90 % of the previous years growth is cut off, keeping only the wood with flower buds. (fortunately for wisteria, future flower buds are obvious, even as early as autumn). Point being they are kept out of sight 50 weeks of the year.

If Edgeworthia is at all difficult to keep happy in a container, it would not be a good choice. If you were good at keeping Edgeworthia happy in a pot, you could create something like the image in the photo, but it would be a lot of wire, and most of the year it would not look bonsai like. A task only for an experienced grower with time on their hands.

The genus Daphne has some species that might do better as bonsai. I suggest this because most who grow Edgeworthia have a number of Daphne species or hybrids also. I've only recall Young Cloe as being the only bonsai artist I know of who has used Daphne, but there is a genus that might be more successful to attempt to use as bonsai.

For flowers with fragrance, consider Gardenia. They will need some winter protection in your area, but there are many Gardenia varieties that are hardy through zone 8 and into 7b, might be worth considering. Gardenia bonsai have a good track record, much loved by the Japanese and everyone who lives where they grow well.

Top Bottom