Editing a post...

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Might I suggest allowing a bit more time for an individual to "Edit" a post?

Currently as I understand it an individual has only 6 minutes of time to edit a post....how about allowing at least 1 hour of time or a more if possible?

Just my $0.02

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You have 20 minutes after creating content to edit or delete it. Sadly, we had to institute this limit because people would post offensive content, and then go back in and delete it after a fair number of people had had the chance to view it.

If there is something really important you need to edit or delete, you can either post a response to the thread, or ask for help and we can manually edit/delete a post or thread. Note that as a rule we do not delete threads unless there is a very good reason to do so - or if there is something basic like accidentally creating two identical threads at the same time.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On a side note:
"would post offensive content, and then go back in and delete it after a fair number of people had had the chance to view it."

Really?! People got the time or inclination to cause this much of a minor inconvenience to other, random people, across the world over the internet..
Learn a language or something in that time.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
On a side note:
"would post offensive content, and then go back in and delete it after a fair number of people had had the chance to view it."

Really?! People got the time or inclination to cause this much of a minor inconvenience to other, random people, across the world over the internet..
Learn a language or something in that time.

If people can do it... someone eventually will. The site used to be wide open in terms of allowing people to create, edit and delete their own content. As typically happens, a few people cause problems that end up inconveniencing the many.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
...Also, we had people who would, after a period of time, get upset with the site and go in and delete all their posts - the "I'm taking my toys and going home" reaction. In some cases the threads could be over a year old, and include a lot of content from other users - including images and progress updates - content that could not be replicated or recovered. Hence the general position of "we will not delete threads except in very limited and specific circumstances". If people decide they want to leave the site, I can close their account and make all their posts generic so no one knows who posted the content. And to be honest, since I don't require people's real names or any unique identifying information to create an account, we generally don't know who people are in the first place :)

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well thank you for the response.

My intent was never to start any sort of controversy concerning the subject on editing a post.

I simply was inquiring due to the fact, to correct misspelled words, incoherent sentencing, etc. thats all. Yes one should "always proof read" a post prior to posting but there are times that's not always the case.

I can respect and fully understand the reasons behind limiting time for editing a post but I find it odd that one would only be allowed 6 mins of such a short amount of time to at least edit their own post(s).

If there is offensive content, bad language, etc. that is what "moderators" are for. That is part of their duty to make sure and view, scan and delete if necessary post that are offensive, derogatory, etc. or bring it to the attention of the original poster/forum member. Also if a forum member comes across a post like that then it should be reported to a moderator.

I belong to several forums, on various subjects and yes each has their own time limit that one can edit their post but never a short amount of time like 6 minutes. They vary anywhere from as short as an hour to as long as anytime you want.

I am new here with, like maybe 4-5 post and already on one of my very first post I had an individual, who doesn't even know anything about me and already assumed what I had posted about was from a local hardware store, etc. and decided to shoot my post down. Why? Don't know, really don't care and don't want to know. Should I have protested and asked a moderator to remove that post?....no because I also believe that an individual has the right to make a fool of themselves and show their true ignorance.

Anyway, like it or not, that's just the way this forum is run and I can respect that.

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well thank you for the response.

My intent was never to start any sort of controversy concerning the subject on editing a post.

I simply was inquiring due to the fact, to correct misspelled words, incoherent sentencing, etc. thats all. Yes one should "always proof read" a post prior to posting but there are times that's not always the case.

I can respect and fully understand the reasons behind limiting time for editing a post but I find it odd that one would only be allowed 6 mins of such a short amount of time to at least edit their own post(s).

If there is offensive content, bad language, etc. that is what "moderators" are for. That is part of their duty to make sure and view, scan and delete if necessary post that are offensive, derogatory, etc. or bring it to the attention of the original poster/forum member. Also if a forum member comes across a post like that then it should be reported to a moderator.

I belong to several forums, on various subjects and yes each has their own time limit that one can edit their post but never a short amount of time like 6 minutes. They vary anywhere from as short as an hour to as long as anytime you want.

I am new here with, like maybe 4-5 post and already on one of my very first post I had an individual, who doesn't even know anything about me and already assumed what I had posted about was from a local hardware store, etc. and decided to shoot my post down. Why? Don't know, really don't care and don't want to know. Should I have protested and asked a moderator to remove that post?....no because I also believe that an individual has the right to make a fool of themselves and show their true ignorance.

Anyway, like it or not, that's just the way this forum is run and I can respect that.

I don't know if you read your other thread or the other posts in this one, but editing time is 20 minutes, which I think is fair enough. It is not 6 minutes as you said.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or does the clock start when you begin typing?

Anyway @Mr. Bonsai you haven't started any controversy! No Worries!

You'll likely come to see it is a wonderful part of being here, it's like a law that actually works to keep individuals responsible for their content.

A forced "think before you talk", if you will.

Everyone knows too, so a misspelled words here and there, we can look over it.

But most certainly, if content, context, intent, or inflection must be edited for the life or design of a tree, I will have it edited before any of us has to water again! 😉 PM me whenever.

19K huh? Covid 19 fu@king K.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or does the clock start when you begin typing?

@SU2 must know! Unless you copy and paste your Seminole Wind posts from elsewhere!

Can you edit them after posting? Those things Must take more than 20 minutes to write!

Just ribbing you feller.

I saw one the other day, I'm still getting to the 9th paragraph on!

The first post that took days to read! Lol!

Was that @Mr. Bonsai 's epic? Lol 😂 oops!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pff really. What is this hole wind about anyway. Can we just drop this thread?

Top Bottom