Educational Bonsai

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally put @Carol 83's kind donation to work with some of my high school students on Thursday. Took a few more days than I'd hoped to get to it, and half the cuttings will getting wilty, so fingers crossed.
IMG_20211017_130526.jpg
A north facing window with privacy screens wasn't going to cut it, so Friday a took a box and made a set up to hold a T15 fluorescent over them. Didn't get a pic yet.
Yes, they made all the expected jokes about more elicit plants. 🙄
Also, the Miracle Grow peat is garbage. Have to soak the crap with a fire hose to make it hold water. My two cents.

I know I'm not the only one here in the education field, so feel free to share similar projects here if you'd like. Maybe we can use this to trade ideas and materials, too.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't use the domes on the jades, they don't need them. They might do more harm than good.
Good to know. I'll take them off as soon as I get there in the morning. They're all crowded and in the way with the new light setup anyway.😋

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_20211025_135902_309.jpg
Quick update of old (to me) news.
Last week all but 2 of the bougies have failed. There are now 1 blue and 1 purple. One of the Barbados cherries was dropped also.
Otherwise, mostly looking strong, with the natal plums at the forefront.

Also, with no suggestion from me, the principal tossed out the idea of building a lean-to greenhouse outside a big garage style loading door at the back of the building. Not holding my breath, but I'm spreading the idea around the student population. Enough of them say something, and maybe the finance lady will stop crying and start counting. 😉

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
View attachment 406146
Quick update of old (to me) news.
Last week all but 2 of the bougies have failed. There are now 1 blue and 1 purple. One of the Barbados cherries was dropped also.
Otherwise, mostly looking strong, with the natal plums at the forefront.

Also, with no suggestion from me, the principal tossed out the idea of building a lean-to greenhouse outside a big garage style loading door at the back of the building. Not holding my breath, but I'm spreading the idea around the student population. Enough of them say something, and maybe the finance lady will stop crying and start counting. 😉
I had to do a bit of trimming when I brought the trops inside. I'll send you some more.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They just had to wait a little longer than they should have before planting. The remaining bougies are looking good so far.

And coworkers are getting in on it! One had to trim her philodendron, and brought me a HUGE cutting. It's rooting already, so I'm going to have to find more pots.
My corner of the site has become a brilliant spectacle of blinding grow lights and greenery no one can resist checking out. People are constantly interrupting my paperwork.
Can't think of a better problem to have.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So a whole week off for Thanksgiving break. Can't argue with that, but how to keep a dozen cuttings going unattended for that long?

Well I already had a timer for my desk ficus, so I just moved it and plugged both into it. Then right before leaving that Friday I watered everything really well, and filled the bottom of the pan they're all sitting in with about a half inch of water.
When got back this morning, they were at worst unchanged, so must have worked. But also I found this.
IMG_20211129_164741_109.jpg
IMG_20211129_164749_640.jpg
IMG_20211129_164731_314.jpg
That's a Barbados cherry and the last remaining purple bougie both with a full, healthy set of new leaves, and the jades are pushing roots and foliage from the stems as well.

The other bougainvillea seems unchanged but hanging in there. The last two natal plums are sad, but still alive. Think I might move them under my desk tree light. It's a bit stronger, so maybe that'll help.

The novelty of corner full of plants has worn off with the students, but my principal is actively pushing me to find grant money for a full greenhouse on the back of the building, or maybe one of those factory made indoor vegetable garden setups at least. I'm looking into it now. Teenagers are always interested in food. 😉

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Saw this today -- might have useful info for the future
Actually seeing that and having that thought is what reminded me this thread was due for an update.
Great minds, right?

Looks too humid for the Jades, they root rot easily and need a lot of air circulation (best dry air)
Thanks for confirming that. I was just wondering about this.
I'll need to rearrange our setup here and get some of these a better location.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So a whole week off for Thanksgiving break. Can't argue with that, but how to keep a dozen cuttings going unattended for that long?

Well I already had a timer for my desk ficus, so I just moved it and plugged both into it. Then right before leaving that Friday I watered everything really well, and filled the bottom of the pan they're all sitting in with about a half inch of water.
When got back this morning, they were at worst unchanged, so must have worked. But also I found this.
View attachment 410577
View attachment 410578
View attachment 410579
That's a Barbados cherry and the last remaining purple bougie both with a full, healthy set of new leaves, and the jades are pushing roots and foliage from the stems as well.

The other bougainvillea seems unchanged but hanging in there. The last two natal plums are sad, but still alive. Think I might move them under my desk tree light. It's a bit stronger, so maybe that'll help.

The novelty of corner full of plants has worn off with the students, but my principal is actively pushing me to find grant money for a full greenhouse on the back of the building, or maybe one of those factory made indoor vegetable garden setups at least. I'm looking into it now. Teenagers are always interested in food. 😉
🥳👏👏👏

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

View attachment 410577
View attachment 410578
View attachment 410579

Nice! I too have come home after a vacation to find new growth on my very dry ficus. Looking good!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The last two natal plums are sad, but still alive
I have a couple more cuttings started if those don't work out. Not sure shipping in this weather is a safe bet though. I'll try and get some more Barbados Cherries, the cuttings take pretty fast.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well the two bougies and one Barbados cherry really sprang to life over Christmas break...
IN THE DARK!IMG_20220103_121413_417.jpg
One of our grow lights failed during the break, and apparently early on judging by the color of those leaves.

The natal plums I'm not so sure will make it. They haven't done anything. The second Barbados, however, is just sitting as is, healthy but unchanging.
The jades are going nuts, as jade does.

BTW, so far I am not a fan of Sansi lights. I did get these particular ones second hand from my brother, though, so I should ask him how old they are.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That little guy is blooming? 🥰
No, unfortunately, just discolored leaves from the lack of light as it started budding out.
Over the last three weeks I've had 2 bulbs fail on me while I was gone. Might be time to really invest in a not-cardboard-box-and-thrift-store-junk setup.

I really hope you get your greenhouse. 😇 A lot of young people today are really out of the nature loop, but they all have smart phones.:rolleyes:
The local organization that I had been told about looking into grants from is out of money for now apparently. :(
There's still the school activities budget, but I really need to pin down the principal and get an idea what level of funding to look at, because that will dictate the level of project.

Top Bottom