Educational Bonsai

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The other one has just been growing leaves, no flowers yet, so I figured this one would be similar.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are actually right. If you want to get your students excited look up the morphology of bougy flowers. The petals are leaves, if I remember correctly. And only the little tubes are flowers.
Since we are just coming out of the season and everyone has them or has seen them, poinsettia are also colored leaf bracts.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My desk tree as of today, though it mostly resides behind my desk with all the other plants slowly accumulating there. First real wiring job on it. It's been recuperating from that out of season chop, but finally grew enough I thought it was looking rather meh.

I think this first one is the front.
IMG_20220113_150049_924.jpg
IMG_20220113_150055_147.jpg
IMG_20220113_150106_840.jpg

Yes, those are twist ties.
Do your worst.

I think come summer I'm switching pots. I have a terracotta rectangle that's much shallower and wider, and I feel like it would help keep a sense of earthiness when stuck indoors all day, which is VERY counter to my nature.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Roughing out some greenhouse designs to see if this thing might actually be possible.
My drafting skills leave much to be desired, and just trying to get enough of an idea to make a cost estimate, but if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears.
IMG_20220114_120854_084.jpg
The idea is to have the whole structure butt up around the 10x10 foot garage loading door at the back of the building. That way, in winter, we can open it up and have access from the inside, and have it routinely open regardless of weather for students to engage in stead of forget.
By no means is this the finished plan.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Preliminary estimate for construction of the basic structure: under $2000.
Not near as bad as I'd feared, but enough that it's not likely to be a project for this school year. If I can push for $2500 there'll be enough to cover the first wave of pots and plants, plus other supplies.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! Actually looks like a workshop!

A couple questions off the top of my head after just putting up a couple off the shelf 8 x 6 greenhouses. I’m sure you already have got a handle on these, but just in case…

What direction does it face? Sun protection? I see lexan. Definitely will need if there is any southerly exposure.

Roofing materials composite or glass?

What vent size?

Will the front and side windows open, assuming they are intended.

Will electricity and water be brought in? Definitely will need a good size fan or two.

What type of foundation? - Flooring… paving

Drainage in the floor? Heat sink….

cheers
DSD sends

43D664E8-C174-40EE-A6F9-37E383A6F206.jpeg 8124F63D-5A71-4BA5-8F85-D5A764C59924.jpeg

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice drafts.
I would make the workbench bigger, but that is me. I always seem to have too much stuff on my benches. My current "workbenchtop" is an old 3*7 feet door. And I find myself lacking space when working on a big tree, say, repotting.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice! Actually looks like a workshop!

A couple questions off the top of my head after just putting up a couple off the shelf 8 x 6 greenhouses. I’m sure you already have got a handle on these, but just in case…

What direction does it face? Sun protection? I see lexan. Definitely will need if there is any southerly exposure.

Roofing materials composite or glass?

What vent size?

Will the front and side windows open, assuming they are intended.

Will electricity and water be brought in? Definitely will need a good size fan or two.

What type of foundation? - Flooring… paving

Drainage in the floor? Heat sink….

cheers
DSD sends

View attachment 416126 View attachment 416127
Thanks for the thoughts. Still working out most of the details there. Like I said, preliminary roughs.
It's on the south side of the building, facing south. The thought is to do it as simply as possible. It'll rest straight on the concrete pad outside the garage door, maybe sand and shims for leveling. (Actually toying with the idea of wheels so the whole thing could be rolled away from the building if needed, but that's bottom rung, pipe dream priority.) The entirety of the skin is multi wall lexan polycarbonate or similar; insulates and allows sun through, while providing limited visibility to the inside. (Security can be a concern a block away from a homeless shelter, across the street from the county jail, and with a fistful of students who are known violent offenders.)
As of right now it's all passive ventilation and no power in order to keep costs down. That said, I'm thinking LOTS of vents and windows. Still trying to work out the right arrangement. Water would be a weird one with the existing plumbing layout, but worst case there's ways to run a garden hose from the cleaning closet. Our students are no strangers to ghetto rigging stuff😉
It will definitely need at least 50% shades in the summer, and I'm still working out the best way to do that.
A colleague and I actually let our imaginations run once and we spitballed the idea of a passive thermal convection operated water condenser. If we could make such a thing work, we could potentially turn it into a cooling system.
A miniaturized version of this maybe.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the thoughts. Still working out most of the details there. Like I said, preliminary roughs.
It's on the south side of the building, facing south. The thought is to do it as simply as possible. It'll rest straight on the concrete pad outside the garage door, maybe sand and shims for leveling. (Actually toying with the idea of wheels so the whole thing could be rolled away from the building if needed, but that's bottom rung, pipe dream priority.) The entirety of the skin is multi wall lexan polycarbonate or similar; insulates and allows sun through, while providing limited visibility to the inside. (Security can be a concern a block away from a homeless shelter, across the street from the county jail, and with a fistful of students who are known violent offenders.)
As of right now it's all passive ventilation and no power in order to keep costs down. That said, I'm thinking LOTS of vents and windows. Still trying to work out the right arrangement. Water would be a weird one with the existing plumbing layout, but worst case there's ways to run a garden hose from the cleaning closet. Our students are no strangers to ghetto rigging stuff😉
It will definitely need at least 50% shades in the summer, and I'm still working out the best way to do that.
A colleague and I actually let our imaginations run once and we spitballed the idea of a passive thermal convection operated water condenser. If we could make such a thing work, we could potentially turn it into a cooling system.
A miniaturized version of this maybe.

Just realized that video link didn't work.
I'll try to find another one.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
COuntries, import, export..

I would recommend a browse on e.g., the zone:

Somehow all I ever came across were the powered ones, but THESE are exactly what we need around here!

First real go at a greenhouse, so it's a very steep learning curve.
I appreciate everyone's help!

Top Bottom