Educational Bonsai

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Aaaand purple
View attachment 419414
As of now there are the two bougies left, a Barbados cherry, and, of course, ALL the jades.
I think it's about time for reporting as soon as it warms up slightly. They all could use better soil, and better conditions in general. I'm working on how to get a proper light and growing environment going for them, because what I have right now isn't quite cutting it.
You must be doing something right, that cuttings mother plant has never bloomed since I got it. I'm going to give it a stern talking to when I get home! I have some other bougie and cherry cuttings and I'll take some more this summer for you. It's too cold to risk sending them now and wasn't sure the best time for you.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You must be doing something right, that cuttings mother plant has never bloomed since I got it. I'm going to give it a stern talking to when I get home! I have some other bougie and cherry cuttings and I'll take some more this summer for you. It's too cold to risk sending them now and wasn't sure the best time for you.
I assure you, I have no clue what I'm doing, right or wrong. It's my single greatest strength as an educator: students need never fear their ignorance, because I don't know either.

My best guess is humidity. The jades are just sorta sitting there stagnant right now for the most part and a couple have lost a blackened pad or two, if that's an indicator.

My little corner is going to be outgrown soon. I just got tasked with managing our site's eSports team- and I am NOT a computer gamer- but once my head stops spinning from my to-do list I'll have to get things together for a repotting party soon, as well as reconfigure our grow set up.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Students helped out upgrading our trees' homes today.
IMG_20220302_130543_828.jpg
Nestled in, and getting a taste of real sunshine on a 75F afternoon.

The soil isn't much of an upgrade, but it's what I had on hand. Peat with a bit of mulch. Our Finance lady was going to get us some pots and soil, but wound up home sick in stead.
So we improvised, and hopefully the larger containers will reduce the likelihood of soil issues for now.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OOH, OOH!
And- TOTALLY UNPROMPTED IN ANY MANNER- one girl started started talking all how she wanted to make them into bonsai and we spent the whole time talking trees.

Piddly detail that, when I recalled, was really exciting to me at least.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Piddly detail that, when I recalled, was really exciting to me at least.
Not piddly at all, that's awesome! You wanted to get them interested and it's working, so proud of you.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, got back to work this morning, and the red bougie was dead. When I went to look at it closer, the entire thing pulled straight from the soil, no root whatsoever. Now, it's been so long that I know the original cutting had rooted- it didn't just put on ne foliage and blooms without roots to feed it- and I also know that the pot of soil it was in stayed wet for allot longer than it should, but it had been looking better after I caught it and adjusted the watering.

My guess at what happened: I was working off site Friday, so wasn't here where I normally work. We do have several students with young children, and Fridays are often the preferred day for them to come in if they need anything, because then their kids don't bother the other students here.
I think someone's kid was playing with the plants and pulled this one straight out of the pot tearing up the roots. Mom or them tried putting it back like nothing happened.
Oh, well.
On the bright side, that purple bougie is ready to take over the entire table since I gave it some fertilizer, and the Barbados cherry is close behind.

An update on the greenhouse endeavor.
These things are all out growing the space, but especially the lights they have. I asked about the prospects of getting a larger scale light and some cheap shelving- just a little outside my resources if I want anything for home.
The answer was, "we'd rather not right now," but in the best possible way. We're still waiting on the building manager to make a decision on whether or not we can build. In anticipation of a potential positive answer there, the principal wants to lay over some of the year's activities funds even though we're nearing the end of the school year. Apparently he has a gray area in the budget calendar he can play with, holding any excess funds from this school year to combine with next year's funds at the beginning of the year. Something like, if the money is already allotted for something it can be considered spent when working out the new year's budget, but it must be actually spent by certain time, which happens to be AFTER the new year's fund become available.
Anyways, he's hoping to use that to offset the budget request IF we get the go ahead from the building manager. If we don't, I adjust the plan for the money and find a way to spend it.
I'll also be looking for program sponsors around town...
As soon as we're done with a MONTH of state testing. Did I mention I'm getting really tired?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So, got back to work this morning, and the red bougie was dead. When I went to look at it closer, the entire thing pulled straight from the soil, no root whatsoever. Now, it's been so long that I know the original cutting had rooted- it didn't just put on ne foliage and blooms without roots to feed it- and I also know that the pot of soil it was in stayed wet for allot longer than it should, but it had been looking better after I caught it and adjusted the watering.

My guess at what happened: I was working off site Friday, so wasn't here where I normally work. We do have several students with young children, and Fridays are often the preferred day for them to come in if they need anything, because then their kids don't bother the other students here.
I think someone's kid was playing with the plants and pulled this one straight out of the pot tearing up the roots. Mom or them tried putting it back like nothing happened.
Oh, well.
On the bright side, that purple bougie is ready to take over the entire table since I gave it some fertilizer, and the Barbados cherry is close behind.

An update on the greenhouse endeavor.
These things are all out growing the space, but especially the lights they have. I asked about the prospects of getting a larger scale light aother nd some cheap shelving- just a little outside my resources if I want anything for home.
The answer was, "we'd rather not right now," but in the best possible way. We're still waiting on the building manager to make a decision on whether or not we can build. In anticipation of a potential positive answer there, the principal wants to lay over some of the year's activities funds even though we're nearing the end of the school year. Apparently he has a gray area in the budget calendar he can play with, holding any excess funds from this school year to combine with next year's funds at the beginning of the year. Something like, if the money is already allotted for something it can be considered spent when working out the new year's budget, but it must be actually spent by certain time, which happens to be AFTER the new year's fund become available.
Anyways, he's hoping to use that to offset the budget request IF we get the go ahead from the building manager. If we don't, I adjust the plan for the money and find a way to spend it.
I'll also be looking for program sponsors around town...
As soon as we're done with a MONTH of state testing. Did I mention I'm getting really tired?
I have other cuttings I started last year with you in mind and I can start some more soon. Just didn't know if you would want them yet, with the school year coming to an end. You are trying to do a good thing!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have other cuttings I started last year with you in mind and I can start some more soon. Just didn't know if you would want them yet, with the school year coming to an end. You are trying to do a good thing!
I think where we're at now, we're better off waiting until next school year. Only 4 weeks left for students, and I'm likely taking most or all of these ones home for the summer.

Next year I'll be able to approach it all better prepared and more organized. A few of the students who have been involved are graduating, so I'll have to see if they want to take anything with them or pass them on to next year's students.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, an update on the greenhouse proposal.
No one said, "no," but no one wants to say, "yes," either.

Essentially, the property manager told us we should check with the city zoning and permitting people. Because it wouldn't be a permanent structure or permanently attached to the building, this really is just them trying to pass the buck; a soft turn down.
The good news is that this doesn't mean the game is off. The bad news is this means the game is changed entirely.
We still have options to get some sort of related project going, but they would all be much less than what we'd hoped. I'm currently looking into going back to the idea of replacing the panels in the big loading door with plexiglass or similar, and just having rolling shelves right up against it for plants and trees.

One way or another, it's a project for next school year because we only have three weeks left.
So for now I'm focusing on what to do with all these over the summer. Most of my students have gotten more experience with plants this year than they ever have, so I'm wary of their ability to keep them alive on their own for three months.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been so busy lately I forgot to update here for the end of the school year.

I've sent all but one of the jades home with students, and gave a couple to colleagues who have taken a renewed interest in growing trees and house plants. A big, very healthy cutting from my personal ficus also went home with a student for the summer, and a p. afra I added to the collection was given to a graduate as a gift. She hadn't been very involved in the plants prior, but largely because she was busy working as a tutor in our pilot internship program.

@Carol 83, you'll be happy to know that I took a couple cuttings from the Barbados cherry to that student of mine from the site I worked at last year. I hear he's still insisting on under performing, but the folks back there have reached out to me several times this year for help because I seem to be the only staff member he's ever connected with on any level, and I am so incredibly grateful that your help and support was an integral part of that. Thank you SO much 🥰

As for the rest of the trees, they have settled in to their summer home in my house quite nicely. I'm keeping them indoors so that they're ready to go back to their artificial lighting after summer break. The last remaining bougainvillea is growing out of control and has several new blooms. It'll need some serious pruning soon, and I'm going to stick cuttings of everything I can. The jade is slowly pushing along. The Barbados cherry is turning itself into a cascade maybe, but seems very happy.
IMG_20220612_070402_047.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83, you'll be happy to know that I took a couple cuttings from the Barbados cherry to that student of mine from the site I worked at last year. I hear he's still insisting on under performing, but the folks back there have reached out to me several times this year for help because I seem to be the only staff member he's ever connected with on any level, and I am so incredibly grateful that your help and support was an integral part of that. Thank you SO much 🥰
That is so awesome that you were able to make a connection with him and be a positive influence in his life. Hat's off to all of you teachers and the amazing job you do.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The new school year is on, and we're back in business!
IMG_20220801_134555_702.jpg
We're upgraded this year from dumpster ghetto to boy scout ghetto as far as the lighting. Found some dowels and string and lashed together a little pyramid light stand. Big improvement over the cardboard boxes. 😂

I've not gotten to repotting anything. Been a crazy summer, and I figured the students might enjoy getting their hands dirty.
I sent a couple of them home with trees over the summer, and I'm rather anxious to learn how they've faired. I also have new acquisitions that will be added as soon as we're a little more settled in for the year.

The big greenhouse project was a bust, but the assistant principal is onboard with seeing about replacing the solid panels in the loading door with lexan or plexiglass so we can have the next best thing indoors. We're still trying to problem solve the idea of a small lean-to or hoop house style setup that would be tamper proof. Silver linings of being down the street from the local homeless shelter and across the street from the county lockup is all the students get to see exactly what happens if they don't stay in school or out of trouble.😬

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wow, school has started already there? You need some more cuttings, I have plenty PM me.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, it's been a really rough start to the year, and I'm sad to say that I didn't survive it.
As of this past Thursday I am unwillingly unemployed.

It was messy and unexpected. Entirely internal workplace politics. I got a little too vocal in mixed company one too many times about how I felt concerning some of the administration's policy changes this year. Pissed off the wrong narcissists.
Friday I collected my personal effects. I left the trees and plants along with the grow lights and some fertilizers. They were all for the students to begin with. Here's hoping they remember to take care of them.
I did snag a couple cuttings for myself.

Financially, I'm good on my own through next month, and with unemployment and maybe some odd jobs will be ok for the foreseeable future, so I'm not in a hurry. It was the best job I've ever had, the most fulfilling, and the most meaningful.
I'm heartbroken more than anything else. Getting over losing this job after nearly 4 incredible years will be as difficult as moving on after an equally long relationship.

I'm taking the weekend, then on Monday I'll start getting ready for a job search. In the meantime I'm planning to take on more volunteer opportunities with the organization my recovery group is part of. Their grant funding was cut this year, and with a original background in communications I can help them out allot.

Anyway, there was so much passion from folks in this thread, I felt you deserved to know why I'm not updating any more.
Thank you, all for your interest and support. With any luck, the next endeavor will turn out better.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, it's been a really rough start to the year, and I'm sad to say that I didn't survive it.

It was messy and unexpected. Entirely internal workplace politics. I got a little too vocal in mixed company one too many times about how I felt concerning some of the administration's policy changes this year. Pissed off the wrong narcissists.
Friday I collected my personal effects. I left the trees and plants along with the grow lights and some fertilizers. They were all for the students to begin with. Here's hoping they remember to take care of them.

Financially, I'm good on my own through next month, and with unemployment and maybe some odd jobs will be ok for the foreseeable future, so I'm not in a hurry. It was the best job I've ever had, the most fulfilling, and the most meaningful.
I'm heartbroken more than anything else. Getting over losing this job after nearly 4 incredible years will be as difficult as moving on after an equally long relationship.

I'm taking the weekend, then on Monday I'll start getting ready for a job search. In the meantime I'm planning to take on more volunteer opportunities with the organization my recovery group is part of. Their grant funding was cut this year, and with a original background in communications I can help them out allot.

Anyway, there was so much passion from folks in this thread, I felt you deserved to know why I'm not updating any more.
Thank you, all for your interest and support. With any luck, the next endeavor will turn out better.
This saddens me but I also hope and expect it will open new doors for you.
I understand the politics involved and though it doesn't really help, I want you to know that many of us have had to deal with sort of crap. Some day I will share my own experience with you.

This site can frustrate, I suppose all can, but it also made it possible for a stranger in CO to become a very true friend to a old man in VA.
The very best to you..........
I believe it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Ugh! So sorry to hear this! I spent 20 years teaching kids Science in the public schools and got on the backside of many an administrator. I was very lucky to have a strong case of supporters. … and I have seen what happens otherwise.

You have to be resilient after teaching kids for four years in your setting, so I know something good will come your way. Until then our thoughts will be with you!

Best
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, workplace politics suck and it's the kids you taught that will suffer because of this. My sister came to work Monday after her father-in-laws funeral on Friday and was fired from a job she'd been at for 17 years, for no reason. Such bullshit. Hopefully you'll find something as meaningful and rewarding soon. If you need some cuttings for yourself just let me know, I have a bunch I'll have no room for.

Top Bottom