Effervescence on pot🤬

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anybody ever have an effervescence problem on any of their pots? Super annoying and not a damn thing I can do about it other than scrub it with a wire brush and a little bit of white vinegar.

E964B59C-22DF-4BEA-9C02-C50EF61049C6.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Tried CLR... works as good as the vinegar. Just comes back in a day or two.
Did you try soaking over night?
Ice machine cleaner is basically phosphoric acid and citric acid....it would turn that stuff to foam on contact and after a good soak, it would wipe right off.

I dunno if they sell it at Home Depot type places, but HVAC/R supply stores have it, if you have any that are open to the public....some are open to the tradesmen only.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ice machine cleaner
Magic Eraser

Both good suggestions! Thanks gentlemen!
Hopefully one or both can help make the job a bit easier...
And please forgiven my diction function on my phone... but let’s face it... this is not the weirdest shit you’ll ever see me goof up on in a post in the Nut House!!!🤪

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like soaking thru from inside like with clay pots:confused:? If so will come back quickly.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If it keeps coming back it could be that you have hard water - high levels of minerals ,so you could try using rainwater instead when irrigating that plant!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Going to have wrap the pot because I have a tree in it... doable though.
If the pot is porous enough for something to be coming thru from the inside to the outside, then anything you soak it in can go back thru from the outside to the inside. Be careful about using a cleaner that your roots might suck up and kill the tree.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think it’s is just a bad pot...I Imagin it was a bad fire job or something in the clay reacting to the water. I have a few of these pots from the same seller and this is the only one that whitens up.
Most likely will just have to see if the salts stop pushing at some point.
Bummer.... I really like this pot!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it’s is just a bad pot...I Imagin it was a bad fire job or something in the clay reacting to the water. I have a few of these pots from the same seller and this is the only one that whitens up.
Most likely will just have to see if the salts stop pushing at some point.
Bummer.... I really like this pot!

It might be a bad idea, but when I was living in a shitty apartment with some busted floor tiles in the shower I used dollar store silicone spray (the stuff used to keep ice/rust from building up in your car lock) to make the floor repel water.
As far as I know, the floor is still holding up and it's still water proof.

I don't know how the pot, nor the tree would react to that though. I imagine the clay would turn a few shades darker. But it might be a preventative solution for someone.

A more diluted version of the stuff is used to waterproof hiking shoes and tents. No water means no mineral build up!

Top Bottom