Efficacy of Plant Boosters: HB-101 and Superthrive

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the several years i've been doing bonsai, I found myself fending off death of my trees on a number of occassions. Fungal attacks, Sun Burn etc... In some instances some survived meanwhile in others I got oblitherated and lost many trees.

During these moments, I relied heavily on applying these boosters and did so without any solid validation that they actually work. In fact I often have no clue what they are actually do...I feel like these boosters are presented as magic solutions and I never really knew with confidence of their true efficacy. In instances where my trees actually survived, did they actually save their lives.

I went with the assumption because they lived the boosters saved them. Fair to assume?

Yes I read the labels that are available but I am curious to hear on real life experience from you Nuts. I guess if I am able to draw a concensus it must work or not.

Are these boosters actually reliable?

Is there proof they worked and saved your trees life?

Any other real life facts to support their efficacy?

James

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
honestly, I've used both over time and i couldn't swear that either may have made the difference. I do know at the time i needed to do something if not for the tree but for me.
I've had "sucess" with both in my mind. Currently I'm working out of my HB101 bottle as needed. :)

I doubt if you'll be able from multiple reports to be able to ascertain as to either's effectiveness.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Never used them or any other supplement to "fix" what might be a dying plant. Actually my first course of action is usually repot and water and fertilize LESS until the plant comes back. Many times a person feels a plant is dying when it is simply not happy and I for one will be striving to understand my trees in their new location(s) this Spring. My normal routines were rather off the chart at the old place but sun and wind will be different here and I told my Wife a few weeks ago that I will not be doing a 7 times the normal fertilizer at Spring start because of the change of location. I will also be watering differently until everything is in their "happy" place. I have always found slowing down what I do normally do is the best medicine.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my short bonsai career, I've collected more than my fair share of trees/plants. Being "salvage" mission, most are done during the wrong time of the year (not optimal like spring). I never used these but still have 90%+ success rate (last I checked it is 61 survivors out of 67 collected). Had I used these, I might be attributing that success rate to these.

That said, I cannot dispute other people's (some are big names in Europe bonsai) claims that they work.

I am a believer that we barely scratched the surface in understanding plants and people who think all the plant needs are NPK & water are wrong. Maybe these have some of those needed nutrients not identified yet.

BTW, I also keep my plants in more organic soil than most so maybe there are micro nutrients there that are supplied by Superthrive and/or HB-101. Who knows?

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never used them or any other supplement to "fix" what might be a dying plant. Actually my first course of action is usually repot and water and fertilize LESS until the plant comes back. Many times a person feels a plant is dying when it is simply not happy and I for one will be striving to understand my trees in their new location(s) this Spring. My normal routines were rather off the chart at the old place but sun and wind will be different here and I told my Wife a few weeks ago that I will not be doing a 7 times the normal fertilizer at Spring start because of the change of location. I will also be watering differently until everything is in their "happy" place. I have always found slowing down what I do normally do is the best medicine.

Grimmy

I agree with you! The boosters were not my only course of action and in time of emergency fundamental bottany is the most important consideration...making adjustments...Water...Sun...Suspending fertilization...relocation etc...

I applied the boosters only after exhausting everything else. The message I got is that when you are at deaths door the boosters work miracles. So as a last resort and sometimes along with all the above I used them.

So I guess I am just wondering if the boosters really saved my trees or my adjustments. Perhaps I even got lucky... Trying to gauge if I should stop investing in these and just rely on luck and making adjustments..

Thanks for responding

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with you! The boosters were not my only course of action and in time of emergency fundamental bottany is the most important consideration...making adjustments...Water...Sun...Suspending fertilization...relocation etc...

I applied the boosters only after exhausting everything else. The message I got is that when you are at deaths door the boosters work miracles. So as a last resort and sometimes along with all the above I used them.

So I guess I am just wondering if the boosters really saved my trees or my adjustments. Perhaps I even got lucky... Trying to gauge if I should stop investing in these and just rely on luck and making adjustments..

Thanks for responding

I think you answered your own question honestly :) If the boosters worked off the start it would be different but I suspect your measures were what really paid off and perhaps just seemed to take longer then you wanted. There are people that use boosters with documented success here but they are using them when propagating plants. Again what works for them may or not work for us... I will stand by the "slow adjustment" way as I normally have good success when things are not "correct". Keep in mind before I moved I spent 6 years growing everything possible and at one point had 150 plus specimens. I only recall loosing a handful at MOST without boosters and they died because I was learning no other reason I killed them.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
honestly, I've used both over time and i couldn't swear that either may have made the difference. I do know at the time i needed to do something if not for the tree but for me.
I've had "sucess" with both in my mind. Currently I'm working out of my HB101 bottle as needed. :)

I think you nailed it. It is what matters... and the product marketers know it. ;)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Time for popcorn, lol :p

Grimmy

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you nailed it. It is what matters... and the product marketers know it. ;)

I guess it comes down to each individual/experience...If the individuals thinks it contributed(simply by the tree living)than it must have worked. Similar too if it barks like a dog it must be a dog...Even if it may not actually be a dog.

If this is subjective than thats the answer. We buy it but dont really know how it actually contributes but think we know only by the measure that the tree survived. I mean this is how I work now...

I appreciate the feedback...

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Sorry I misread, kind of preoccupied with the crazy weather week. Sunday was 50f, Monday was 10 to 12 inches of snow and over 32f. Some of it melted Tuesday followed by an overnight storm that resulted in 1/2 inch of ice. Wednesday no power all day but we are blessed because there are 400,000 people without power still here and we are with. Also lost a 35 foot JWP at my Wifes office... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I am saying is Dick painted the perfect picture. It is about making him feel that he did all that he can. That is worth a lot more than the $$$ paid for the product.

In all human history, if you want lots of money and power...play with people's guilt and fear. Couple that with uncertainty and you have the magic mix. Just look at religion, government surveillance, etc.

As I said earlier, I cannot and will not say they do not work because they could be.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I understand honest I just read it wrong, sorry :(

Grimmy

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think Superthrive works for certain things. I know plenty of people think it is snake oil, but it seems to boost growth in trees that are struggling to get going, it seems to reduce stress in trees that are recently transplanted...

I don't Know if it is a cure all that fixes all struggling trees or something, and I have never used HB 101... But I used Superthrive years ago, quit for a while, started again recently and I will see if I notice an increase in growth or vitality in my trees this Spring... It is a hard thing to measure for sure.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They smell like something I might like if I were a tree.

Scott

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
To me it's kind of like security bars on your doors and windows- some people feel safe because of them personally I wouldn't ever have them on my house. If it makes you feel good use if not don't.

Top Bottom