Efficacy of Plant Boosters: HB-101 and Superthrive

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems I only want a 'boost' at repotting time.I use dyna gro KLN for that(b1).Other than that with my small trees I really do not want a boost in anything.I am always wanting the shortest internodes possible.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You intrigue me now...I might have to buy it so I can smell what you are talking about. Does it smell like chicken poop? LOL :p

Don't be silly. Everyone knows chicken poop doesn't smell and it doesn't even taste like trees would like it at all.

Scott

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find Superthrive to be usuable when repotting and root work, I do not know for a fact that it works but personally I have good luck with it. I can't see where any vitamin rich supplement could harm the plant and it may just help it so I use it. As a kid my sister dropped a full bottle of One A Day multivitamins in the tub. The bottle filled with water and the vitamins started to dissolve, it actually smelled like Superthrive. I kept it and shook it up until they were all dissolved into a red watery mess and would shoot little wads of paper soaked in the liquid in a slingshot at the girls, yea I was one of those kids, any way I noticed that the paper wads I shot in a flower pot seemed to make the flowers grow, almost doubled in size in a few days compared to the pot beside it. I tried it when planting a couple of branches from a willow tree, the one that I poured the stinky mess around grew over the roof that summer while the other a few yards away was half the size. What did it prove? nothing really could have been a fluke but the first time I smelled an open bottle of Superthrive I was hooked. I do know a load of professional nurseries use it with good results, I have did contract work on many in Florida and a few up north that use it faithfully. Oddly enough two I work for start Ficus and Elm seedlings that are shipped to the asian market to be grown as Bonsai.

ed

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find Superthrive to be usuable when repotting and root work, I do not know for a fact that it works but personally I have good luck with it. I can't see where any vitamin rich supplement could harm the plant and it may just help it so I use it. As a kid my sister dropped a full bottle of One A Day multivitamins in the tub. The bottle filled with water and the vitamins started to dissolve, it actually smelled like Superthrive. I kept it and shook it up until they were all dissolved into a red watery mess and would shoot little wads of paper soaked in the liquid in a slingshot at the girls, yea I was one of those kids, any way I noticed that the paper wads I shot in a flower pot seemed to make the flowers grow, almost doubled in size in a few days compared to the pot beside it. I tried it when planting a couple of branches from a willow tree, the one that I poured the stinky mess around grew over the roof that summer while the other a few yards away was half the size. What did it prove? nothing really could have been a fluke but the first time I smelled an open bottle of Superthrive I was hooked. I do know a load of professional nurseries use it with good results, I have did contract work on many in Florida and a few up north that use it faithfully. Oddly enough two I work for start Ficus and Elm seedlings that are shipped to the asian market to be grown as Bonsai.

ed

I have posted about Superthrive a couple of times before on this forum. When I had access to a nursery full of material I set up a small, relatively controlled experiement using 40 to 50 young trees per group, and specifically examining ST effect on stimulating trees during repotting. I used boxwood, elm, olive and black pine if my memory serves me. The result was ST treatment had no discernable effect on any groups, except for the black pine where ST treatment group had more deaths than the control.

I don't use it.

Brian

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have posted about Superthrive a couple of times before on this forum. When I had access to a nursery full of material I set up a small, relatively controlled experiement using 40 to 50 young trees per group, and specifically examining ST effect on stimulating trees during repotting. I used boxwood, elm, olive and black pine if my memory serves me. The result was ST treatment had no discernable effect on any groups, except for the black pine where ST treatment group had more deaths than the control.

I don't use it.

Brian

Testing in a controlled environment. This is helpful. Also thAnks for weighing in everyone.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I don't use it.

Brian

Was this experiment documented?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was this experiment documented?

If you mean was it published in a peer-reviewed journal? No, not sufficiently controlled, statistically analyzed or horticulturally interesting. In my opinion it's not much use unless I also go to the trouble of analyzing ST for content. I posted the raw data to a popular bonsai forum at the time, but frankly don't know if I could locate the data now.

Guess you'll just have to take my word for it - much like the ST label.....:)

Brian

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Thread: Efficacy of Plant Boosters: HB-101 and Superthrive

But humic acid? Now thats a whole different animal.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't be silly. Everyone knows chicken poop doesn't smell and it doesn't even taste like trees would like it at all.

Scott

How do you know what chicken poop smells and tastes like?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you mean was it published in a peer-reviewed journal? No, not sufficiently controlled, statistically analyzed or horticulturally interesting. In my opinion it's not much use unless I also go to the trouble of analyzing ST for content. I posted the raw data to a popular bonsai forum at the time, but frankly don't know if I could locate the data now.

Guess you'll just have to take my word for it - much like the ST label.....:)

Brian

That was the thread I referred to earlier and how you tested it made good sense and was "good enough" for honest opinion based on experience.

Grimmy

Top Bottom