eggs on JBP needles

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I found eggs on a few pairs of JBP needles today.

I removed, but am not sure what they were. Attached is a pic I found online (this source too didn't know what they were). I'd like to know what it is, and how to prevent in the future

PS If it's useful, I'm in the pacific northwest.

Cam

Attachments

• 3837136921_663995c246.jpg
    3837136921_663995c246.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 125

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Probably saw fly, but in removing them you removed the problem regardless of what they are/were.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting, I've found the same thing on a ponderosa pine recently...I'm in western NY.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Saw fly seem to run in cycles, they hit once every two or three years. I had a few this year but caught them early. It had been three years since the last time I saw them.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'll see eggs like this on a random pine needle every couple weeks, and I just remove the needle and discard it. A few times, it's just been the remnants of these eggs, and nothing was eating the needles. Wasps and moths seem to hang around the pines most; maybe they're the culprit?

I had sawfly larvae attack a black pine once...frightening. Disgusting.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After doing some research, I have to say that I don't think these are sawfly eggs. From what I've read, sawflies lay their eggs in slits they make into the needles, whereas these eggs are obviously on the outside. I'm guessing these are from some kind of moth or butterfly, though I have no idea what species...

That said, I think I may have also seen evidence of sawfly eggs...gonna have to look more carefully. They sound nasty.

Chris

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
next time leave them on. wrap a clear plastic bag over it and see what comes out =)

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eggs

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice.

Hopefully I managed to remove all eggs, and we'll have to resign ourselves to never knowing for sure what they were - thankfully.

I kind of wonder if it was moth eggs? Lots of moths (and wasps) right now in my part of the world.

At any rate, I've removed, and gave the plant a bit of a spray with my home made repellent.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just found another batch on the ponderosa, and also a similar-appearing cluster on a redwood. I think I'm going to leave some of the ones on the redwood to see what they are (it's an 8'+ tree being grown for trunk, so it can afford to sacrifice a little foliage...the ponderosa can't).

Chris

Top Bottom