Eisei-en Bonsai Garden Opening

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The wife and I have been thinking about making the long drive down to TN from VA to attend the grand opening of Bjorn and Nanxi's bonsai garden, Eisei-en. Speculating, what can one typically expect and will there be trees for sale? I'm assuming the answer is going to be yes. Anyone else thinking about making that drive down in September?

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I will almost definitely be there.
I am originally from the Nashville area, but lived in Richmond for a couple of years. I don't know what to expect either, but I can't imagine that it would be a let-down.
It is a very nice drive so I would say go for it.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will almost definitely be there.
I am originally from the Nashville area, but lived in Richmond for a couple of years. I don't know what to expect either, but I can't imagine that it would be a let-down.
It is a very nice drive so I would say go for it.

ROAD TRIP!!! Thinking about staying in Blacksburg for the night, then driving more the next day. But I agree, should be fun. I'm working on changing out tires and overall just getting the car ready. I'm overdue on new tires... o_O

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
ROAD TRIP!!! Thinking about staying in Blacksburg for the night, then driving more the next day. But I agree, should be fun. I'm working on changing out tires and overall just getting the car ready. I'm overdue on new tires... o_O
Preparation is overrated....LOL
Hopefully I will see you there.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm thinking that there probably won't be anything for sale.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I see it like this:

He's been travelling the world for a few years giving classes, demos and workshops. Purchased some land, literally had to build a nursery, purchased some raw material and has been working it.

All of this culminates into this opening. This should be a show of his work, skills and vision. He's going to be busy enough meeting, greeting and talking that even if he has had the time / money to get in stock to sell he isn't going to be wanting to spend his time making deals when he needs to be brand / relationship building and marketing.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The wife and I have been thinking about making the long drive down to TN from VA to attend the grand opening of Bjorn and Nanxi's bonsai garden, Eisei-en. Speculating, what can one typically expect and will there be trees for sale? I'm assuming the answer is going to be yes. Anyone else thinking about making that drive down in September?
Hey David,

I don't know what to expect from that opening. I do know Matt Ouwinga up in Upper Marlboro, Md. DOES have ALOT of stuff for sale, from trees to his awesome imported pots. He's also only 45 minutes away. I haven't been up to see him this spring, so I'm trying to get a day to go see him. PM me if you're interested in going.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey David,

I don't know what to expect from that opening. I do know Matt Ouwinga up in Upper Marlboro, Md. DOES have ALOT of stuff for sale, from trees to his awesome imported pots. He's also only 45 minutes away. I haven't been up to see him this spring, so I'm trying to get a day to go see him. PM me if you're interested in going.

I did not know this. I'll have to do some research, thanks as always!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What part of VA is the nursery??

Just outside of Nashville, TN.

However given that in the last week I drove my son from Southern California to his new home in Boston, a little road trip like MD to TN doesn't sound that far :)

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did not know this. I'll have to do some research, thanks as always!
He's on Facebook auction with his pots. However, I have been up to his place and he has loads of seedlings and other stuff.
Just outside of Nashville, TN.

However given that in the last week I drove my son from Southern California to his new home in Boston, a little road like MD to TN doesn't sound that far :)

You keep bragging about this cross country thing. ;)Having just driven that No.Va. to Tenn. route on the way through to Texas six times in the last year or so, let me tell ya, that four hour stretch from Nashville to Knoxville, is pretty tedious, especially after the 7 and 1/2 hours from D.C. to Knoxville.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You keep bragging about this cross country thing. ;)Having just driven that No.Va. to Tenn. route on the way through to Texas six times in the last year or so, let me tell ya, that four hour stretch from Nashville to Knoxville, is pretty tedious, especially after the 7 and 1/2 hours from D.C. to Knoxville.

I've done that drive. My parents used to live outside of Knoxville, and when they first moved there I made a mistake and booked a flight to Nashville instead. A little geographic ignorance was paid for by a long rental car drive :)

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score

He will have many items for sale. The timing of his opening is unfortunate. Nationals is the following week and the driving distance is similar.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He will have many items for sale. The timing of his opening is unfortunate. Nationals is the following week and the driving distance is similar.

I had to make a choice, but lot's of stuff will be going on in my personal life as well. We are traveling abroad when Nationals is happening so we instinctively chose to go to Eisei-En opening. Conversely my wife is completely in love with road trips and has taken quite the liking to both Bjorn and Nanxi and felt that watching all the vlogs Bjorn puts out, the correct thing to do would be to complete the circle and actually meet them in person. She's been quite amazing at supporting my bonsai hobby.

Top Bottom