Eisei-En Grand Opening Day 2 Photo Gallery

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOW, he has an awesome set up. I love how the big tree greets you when you walk in, do you buys anything?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
WOW, he has an awesome set up. I love how the big tree greets you when you walk in, do you buys anything?

Sadly, no. I gotta do this hobby on the cheap and I think all of the inexpensive material went within the first hour of the first day. I'm just excited this is only an hour's drive from me so maybe in the next few seasons I can get in on a class or a workshop. Plus the trees are jaw dropping in person.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for posting...
Wanted to be there...
The drive is a little far for me...
Will get there some day though...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like all his trees. They're completely awesome.

However, there seems to be ALOT of BIG western conifers. This will sound pretty shitty, but it's worth considering if you're envious of, or are considering dropping a few thousand on one--Those species are not all that hardy the further south and east you go... Hot humid summers, shallow winters and a lot of rain are big problems for them. Will be interesting to see how they fare.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

However, there seems to be ALOT of BIG western conifers. This will sound pretty shitty, but it's worth considering if you're envious of, or are considering dropping a few thousand on one--Those species are not all that hardy the further south and east you go... Hot humid summers, shallow winters and a lot of rain are big problems for them. Will be interesting to see how they fare.

Not shitty at all, facts is facts, I wondered myself how all those trees will do in our humid climate - though I'm sure Bjorn is the guy to keep them healthy if anyone is. I also am nowhere near the experience level to justify spending that kind of scratch on a tree - I'm still thrilled I have kept what I have alive for an entire year haha.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was there on Saturday, he said would have much more in the way of soil and supplies this autumn.

I asked if that that meant I could get a large bag of pumice for $10 and he laughed at me!!? :eek:

He seems like a genuinely nice fella.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't
Was there on Saturday, he said would have much more in the way of soil and supplies this autumn.

I asked if that that meant I could get a large bag of pumice for $10 and he laughed at me!!? :eek:

He seems like a genuinely nice fella.

I didn't actually get to meet him, he and his wife both seemed pretty drained from the weekend. I figure with as close as he is and my commitment to make more NBS meetings I'm sure I'll get to say hi sometime. He and I spoke through email about booking my band to play his event and rent our PA to him but he decided not to do live music.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't

I didn't actually get to meet him, he and his wife both seemed pretty drained from the weekend. I figure with as close as he is and my commitment to make more NBS meetings I'm sure I'll get to say hi sometime. He and I spoke through email about booking my band to play his event and rent our PA to him but he decided not to do live music.
Good things.

I really need to make more effort to get to NBS...
Problem is I get off at 6, and it takes over an hr. to get to Cheekwood in that traffic (know you’re feeling that)..this I suppose means leaving work early...gonna try to make sept.

Any links to band?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good things.

I really need to make more effort to get to NBS...
Problem is I get off at 6, and it takes over an hr. to get to Cheekwood in that traffic (know you’re feeling that)..this I suppose means leaving work early...gonna try to make sept.

Any links to band?

I'll be trying to make this September's meeting - thinking if I leave work a half hour early I should get there relatively close to on time. I'll shoot you the band links in a private message as I'm not sure how the admins here feel about promotional stuff.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@TN_Jim and @cheap_walmart_art we would love to have you guys at the meetings. I will not make the meeting next week, but you will definitely learn something from Eileen's discussion topic! Don't forget to bring a tree to work on/get feedback on.

I especially want to make this one. I've met Eileen at a few events and she really knows her stuff!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

What you are saying is completely valid. Dav4 has a big Rocky near Atlanta, and it’s living, but not actually thriving.

I have a Western Juniper that I’ve grafted Kishu juniper on, and I suspect it will do just fine, after I bring it home from California.

I also have a big Utah Juniper, on the same scale as Bjorn’s big ones. On it, I’m in the process of grafting Kishu foliage, and it already has San Jose roots grafted on. So, it will live in the Southeast.

But, you are right, our humidity and rain is difficult for those desert/mountain trees. I have heard that even Ryan Neil is having some difficulty with them as Oregon is a lot more humid and rainy and foggy than the desert trees are accustomed to.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score

....not very well....

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Pretty garden and very proud of the trees based on a few prices. Crazy Easterners!!

Top Bottom